Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 3:23 AM   #11

NHL/Jim, Thanks, I did a defrag check on my 128 MB SM cards and they didn't appear fragmented on the cluster map.

I defragmented anyway, did the'surface tests' - and the cards still worked afterwards!

NHL.. I agree fragmentation could be an issue with microdrives, with a head wanging about that takes time to access and settle for read/write. But not mos Flash memory? How often do you defrag your pc memory?

I've just ordered a microdrive, so I think my policy will be to copy files and let it fill up, definitely avoiding moving or deleting a few files from the directory. Not sure yet which is best, reformat when a microdrive is full which must be done in the cam(slow?) or block file delete all files from the FAT table. High level format will verify and update the bad sector table, so this is good, on the other hand, emptying the FAT with 'delete' is less agressive and more cam batt. friendly. NHL - any ideas?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:37 AM   #12
NHL

I always format the drive in the camera (a good ~10s) after a download and start fresh. You don't have to worry about deleting individual pictures since the capacity is so spacious!

All editing/sorting is done @ the PC which also save the camera's battery... When you delete or review pictures from the camera you are only robbing power away from the picture taking part! So in fact while drawing more power in balance (by not review/delete) the microdrive ends up with the same # of shots as flash cards if not even more... :lol: :lol: :lol:

...Which everyone tend to do a lot since without the memory size constraint one tends to shoot more as well as more bracketing...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:03 AM   #13

Sorry, I confused you, I thought it would take a long time to format 1Gb in the cam and write all those FF's and clean FAT. So I guess the cam format only does a 'quick format' this would be revealed by a sector editor or recovery prog. So watch out if you shoot naughty pics then!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote