Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:53 PM   #1

Default move or copy files

i just took a bunch of pictures today and when i came home instead of moving the files to my computer like i usually do i copied them to my hard drive so i could keep the pics on my cam to show people on tv when i printed them they looke horrible you could see the pixels i was wondering if copying them made the difference
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:57 PM   #2

I have always used the copy inlieu of moving. If the copy fails I can retry. Should be no file quality loss in the copy procedure.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:01 PM   #3

Default comment

No there is no differance between copy and move except that with move your photoe will not be on your camera anymore.

You probably need to take higher resolution photos if you want to print them. On a monitor only 72-100 dpi will display a good image,
but in printing you need a minimum of 300 dpi.

Use a photo editor such as photoshop (elements, Le or full version) and you can resize (although you have some image loss) and can then print.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:08 PM   #4

i resized them to 5 x7 in photo shop wich automaticaly changed it to 304 ppi
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:22 PM   #5

Quote:
No there is no differance between copy and move except that with move your photoe will not be on your camera anymore.
WARNING There is a difference between copy and move! When you move a file you assume that the slow card writing to a fast HD via USB, will put a perfect file copy on your disc. The original file is deleted without you being asked!

I have had first hand experience of getting corrupt JPEG images on a HD with the original deleted. The files are readable, are about the correct size, but have great tears missing from the image!! A Hex dump shows blocks of FF's where there should have been picture!

Don't let this happen, always copy, rename, write protect the copied files on your HD, check your copies look OK on thumbnails, and finally, delete from the card.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:02 PM   #6

Default comment

The speed of the devices shouldnt make a differance. handshaking is used to adjust. You must have had a hard disk or memory problem.

Yes, I do understnad your view about copy, but then I have to go back and remove each image from the flashfilm. Plus it helps me keep track of what I have copied. I lost a file by deleting my files off the flashfilm after I copied them cause I missed copying a file.

Maybe we should go to DOS and use the verify command, I dont know if windows verifies a copy.

DOS verify ( copy A: B: /v)

Jim

Jim
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:27 PM   #7

I think the problem lies in the USB implementation in PC's and the fact it is under interrupt control. Whereas, IDE drives are given higher priority direct memory access. So would never want to trust USB completely on file transfer integrity.

DOS verify would work, but preferably 'filecompare fc or comp' since it checks content rather than CRC and EOF in the right place, I vaguely remember you could also set the archive and write protect bits on the destination copies at the same time, and pipe the directory file list to your printer with an error report? My this would blow the minds of Windows icon pushers! You'ld be on Win DOS though (long filenames) and I'm not sure if it takes all the V6.2 switches. But it's easy to write a couple of lines to a batch file to copy/filecompare between remote drive and HD. But this isn't friendly for XP users who avoid black screens! I thought MS were trying to get rid of DOS?

When copying from card to PC I select edit/ select all then drag and drop to a new directory, I check the file count on the card and the file count after transfer, then after checking integrity of copied files as thumbnails, select edit /select all/delete and their gone (with recover still possible as last resort).

I use the same method for burning CD's, deleting HD copies only when I've checked the CD can be read in 2 machines and the thumbnails open ok for each image transferred.

Cheers VOX.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:40 PM   #8

thanks everyone i recopied them to the hd and printed them again and they came out great not sure what went wrong but atleast im not afraid to copy now
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:19 PM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Yes, I do understnad your view about copy, but then I have to go back and remove each image from the flashfilm. Plus it helps me keep track of what I have copied. I lost a file by deleting my files off the flashfilm after I copied them cause I missed copying a file.
The best way is to copy everything over (make sure it's all there), and format the flash... Deleting chosen pictures is not the most efficient and only fragments the file system and eventually will slow you down especially on large cards (or microdrives). Beside I hope you realize that flash also wear with use...

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=ecc
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:44 PM   #10

Default comment

Thanks NHL, I appreciate the information!

Vogmagna...the interupt of which you speak is called handshaking and is used in all serial ports (USB is a Universal Serial Bus..port) so when the hard drive gets priority, the flow of data on the USB may be interupted by handshaking, however no data would be lost. Trust me...I worked with serial ports for many years. The USB is configured by defination...not like I used to have to use a breakout box and configure it manually to run a printer or terminal.

Jim