Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Canon S230/V3 with 3X zoom likely, u think?

I really like the Canon S230 except for one thing - the 2X optical zoom. Got any inside news on future models with 3X optical in the same package dimensions?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 1:41 PM   #2

I was on the fence with the same decision - buy the existing S230 or wait for the potentially new 3x zoom. I decided to purchase the Minolta Xi instead of waiting. In the end, I accept that many folks feel the color quality of the S230 is better but like what I read about the Xi picture sharpness; smaller size; 3x zoom and most importantly - its available right now. I figured I can always doctor the color but cannot really do much with a less than detail photo. I am just a point and shoot guy.

FYI, I purchased my camera from Normancamera.com - great service despite not reading too much about 'em. - John
John Macri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 1:42 PM   #3

I was on the fence with the same decision - buy the existing S230 or wait for the potentially new 3x zoom. I decided to purchase the Minolta Xi instead of waiting. In the end, I accept that many folks feel the color quality of the S230 is better but like what I read about the Xi picture sharpness; smaller size; 3x zoom and most importantly - its available right now. I figured I can always doctor the color but cannot really do much with a less than detail photo. I am just a point and shoot guy.

FYI, I purchased my camera from Normancamera.com - great service despite not reading too much about 'em. - John
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:53 PM   #4

Hey yeah! Good suggestion! Had not really considered the Minoltas until you mentioned it. How is your camera performing under low-light (flash OFF) and indoor flash situations? Are you happy with the pics/exposure?

Was really impressed with the claimed fast response times. As a point-and-shoot guy as well, one of the things I'm hesitant about with digicams is the ability to "capture fleeting moments" due to the lag between button press and actual shot taken. What's your experience on this with the Xi?
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:53 AM   #5

I just got the camera a few days ago and haven't really assessed your concerns. The few shots I took indoors were no better or worse than my Fuji 4700Z.

My rational for the Xi was defintely having a good quality camera that fits in my pocket. It's less than an inch thick which means it doesn't even bulge in a shirt pocket. Even my fairly compact Fuji is large enough to stay behind unless I plan on taking shots. I plan on taking the Xi out of the house more often. Now I won't be saying "I don't feel like taking the camera."

Anyway, I will keep you posted here on my progress. Basically, I am a hiker/backpacker and am excited about the light weight and size of the Xi. - John
Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:17 PM   #6

Cool! Do share what you think of the Xi after you've had more time with it. Enjoy!