Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:34 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D100 and want to take the RCA video out to a 21" VGA monitor in my studio as a preview monitor for my clients. I don't want to have to have a computer setup, just the monitor if at all possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

John
fotozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:41 AM   #2

There are signal conversion boxes available, but to get a high picture quality you'll be spending as much as a cheap computer would cost.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:53 AM   #3

The video output jack on the camera provides an RF composite signal for viewing on a television, usually channel 2 or 3. There are two video RF formats available, NTSC and PAL. PAL is used in Europe while NTSC is used in the USA.

Converting this signal to VGA might be as simple as connecting the video output jack from a small television to a VGA monitor but it will only work if the video out is VGA format. Assuming this works, the quality of the picture displayed on the VGA monitor will only be as good as the television image.

As has already been said, there are converter boxes to do most anything. I am certain that conversion from NTSC to VGA is possible but it might be cheaper to buy a minimally configured PC and use it to display the images. The quality will be much better than you could ever expect to get with RF conversion.

Good Luck.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Administrator

The Video Out from the D100 can be directly connected to any modern TV set with an auxilliary Video In jack - no special converters are needed.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:09 PM   #5

That's not what he wants to do. He wants to connect the camera to a VGA monitor.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote