Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Aquarium Photography Tips Needed

This was originally posted in the "Sony" column but I reposted it here.

The Sony P2 is my first digicam (purchased last Saturday) and primarily used to take pictures of our aquariums. The advice from our fish club is take pictures in a dark room (at night) using the flash with only the tank light on.

The pictures look very grainy (sorry if that's the wrong term) on my laptop PC screen. I have the camera and PC's screen resolution at the highest setting. I did not use the Macro setting as I am about 3" from the tank.

What am I doing wrong? Is the problem the computer screen or the photographer?

Thanks
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:13 PM   #2

I would believe that you do not have enough light. Low light pictures look grainy.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:15 PM   #3

it sounds like you dont have enough light, and the camera chooses a higher "iso" setting, giving you more grain.
Shooting without external light is the way to go, but also without flash, or the bounce off the glass would ruin the shot.
I dont know how close you can get, but i remember my old sony FD7 could focus an object that touched the lens (no kidding), so you may want to try touching the lens on the glass, then fire your flash so that you get no reflections.
How about the fish? is it blurry?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:38 PM   #4

I remember this tip from a nature show...you need an external flash hooked up to the camera via a cable...you point the camera at what you want to photograph, and with the flash connected to the cable you hold it above the aquarium pointing into the water.

In other words, you don't use the built-in flash.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips! I shot without flash using the tank lighting and the pictures are great, plus I used the Macro mode. The tank lights are extremely bright for growing plants. I projected the images on the TV screen and all look great. I shot in a completely dark room with just the tank light on.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tenor1
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips! I shot without flash using the tank lighting and the pictures are great, plus I used the Macro mode. The tank lights are extremely bright for growing plants. I projected the images on the TV screen and all look great. I shot in a completely dark room with just the tank light on.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tenor1