Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:05 PM   #21

If you can't take Steven R's direct advice, take his indirect advice. (this is my interpertation of his comments... I have no experience here.)

Talk to the Bride. Don't trust the Groom for what you should and shouldn't do. Get as much info directly from her as you can.

Now, I can say from experience that a Wedding is generally considered the Brides day, so that would fit with his advice.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:23 PM   #22

thanks for the help, i will consult with them both, but will pry further for what she wants and expects.

-michael-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:09 PM   #23

If I can add my two cents. I did a wedding last August; and while I would do one again, (i guess I like the punishment) I became very bumbed out after the event, and didn't take one picture for a month. That was crazy for me. As an example I have taken over 4000 in just over the last two months alone (yes I need a life)

Anyhow, I did all my homework, went to park twoweeks prior to the event,to familiarize myself with the environment, read numerous books from the library on posing, etc.

On the wedding day, it rained, so alot of the pictures at the waterfront park were dark and dismal, Some did turn out really nice, mostly the ones that any kind of colour in them (flowers etc) but they were really few in comapred to the amount I took

I found that I missed the moment of the actual kiss because flash was charging up, and the image then was blurred, The chapel was a justice of the peace kinda thing, where there was barely room for me (a 6 ft 300lbs ) and three others just like me, the JP and the three ladies, along with the bride and groom. It was sooooo hot in that 20 person chapel, I got the shakes, and the sweats, all while having no light to shoot in, so my flash has to be going off all day long... Finally at the end I get the big shot of them with the JP as he announces the bride and groom to the 20 person congregation, and my camera focuses on the door behind and to the left of the JP that has a window with that sunlight I was beggin for finally shining in. Great picture, as the door is in great focus, but the party and JP... dim and dull.

Went on to the reception where my partner tells me as we run out of tape that we are out of tape, so I miss some of the speeches etc. Terrible. Now I am driving across town looking for tape... agghhh what is the point.

I took 300 for the job, (now it is canadian so...) I took over 300 shots of their wedding prep, wedding day, reception, I took pictures at their jack and jill, I took pictures the day before where they set up the reception decorations. I printed off 20 8x10 various pictures and styles (b&w etc) and 40 4x6 to fill an album. I gave them a dvd of every file I had, and 10 dvd's and 2 vhs tapes of their wedding, reception interviews and music melodies filled with pictures (fancy slide show) each dvd set had 4 hours of footage on it.

And while I was confident I did a good job, I expected so much better, and I know they got their monies worth but.... I didn't expect any of what went wrong to go wrong.. I guess that is what you have to plan for. (expect the unexpected) Now I am a novice photographer, no argument there, but.. I am sure some of this stuff could happen to everyone. Sorry for the ramble, I thought a real life experience might be helpful, or fun to read!!
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:14 AM   #24

sorry to hear about your wedding experience. what equipment were you using? just out of curiousity. I hope it doesn't rain here, if it does i'm just puttin my camera inside and saying #%$ it, i'm not risking my equipment for this. either way, thanks for sharing your story!

-michael-
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:40 AM   #25

If you use an external flash at a low setting, and use it as a fill flash, the recharge will be nearly instantaneous.

$300 canadian is not a lot of money for wedding photography, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Keep it up and I'm sure you will learn all the tricks.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:05 PM   #26

Oh, if you can get them ahead of time (or even afterwards... really afterwards) get direct candids of them in their formal outfits. Then you can do it away from the pressure of the event. It is really the pressure, the non-stop "you have no time" nature that makes it really hard. Get as many as you can ahead of time (or afterwards) and you're life will be easier.

I think someone suggested getting the a softbox. Its something you mount on your flash that "softens" it. Works very well for portrait work, which is part of what you'll be doing. They are cheap and light, get one.

dashboardgyno, that wedding sounded really bad, I'm sorry for you.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:39 PM   #27

yes, i have two flash softeners or "bounce" accessories. they seem to work well although i've only been using them for a couple weeks. they do a pretty good job of dispersing the light evenly.

-Michael-
www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:22 PM   #28

Hi Michael,

sure, the consequences are grave - but so is the gain in experience!

I´ve covered quite a few weddings in Europe, can´t vouch or any of my following tips for american weddings but - in my opinion - you should :

- be at he place of the ceremony before and check the light at the same time of day that the wedding is scheduled ( look at the weather-forecast!)

-visit the same type of ceremony beforehand, so that you know when, and where the "action" occures (you don´t have to run around that much in a hurry, and consequently can select your lenses)

- preferably speak to the priest beforehand (he just might wait till you are ready)

- learn about the customs (wouldn´t do to run around and make a racket while the whole church is deep in prayer)

- use avaiable light during the ceremony whenever possible (should affect your choice of lenses)

-don´t take pictures late in the evening - the guests won´t thank you for them.

-always have a 2nd body avaiable - wouldn´t do to have a "malfunction".

-HAVE FUN!

Ciao, Wolfie:-)

P.S.: stay

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote