Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Inkjets and Passports? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion/6257-inkjets-passports.html)

stiger Jan 15, 2003 8:08 PM

Inkjets and Passports?

Has anyone taken a picture for a passport and printed it out on a inkjet? Passport app. says the photo must withstand 225 degrees.
lamination heat I expect.

geof Jan 15, 2003 8:16 PM

not sure about heat, but i was told they are not acceptable because the image will not last as long as the passport itself; you may have to replace it sooner than you expect afterwards.

d77avid Jan 15, 2003 8:36 PM

just did it for my daughters passport..shot it against a neutral(beige) wall ,sized it the proper size,printed it on photo paper and it was accepted ..passport came 2 weeks later...so no problem

Mike_PEAT Jan 15, 2003 9:28 PM

Not all countries will accept a photo printed on inkjet (due to it not being water resistant), or that may have been altered on a computer...they may also want a photographer's receipt. You'll have to see what the rules are in your area...if you are in a hurry for your pasport, or have deadline to get it, you don't want to give a bureaucrat any excuse for holding up your passport.

d77avid Jan 16, 2003 8:58 AM

Once the photo is laminated and stuck on the passport(where I doubt it will degrade very much being covered and out of the sunlight) how would any one know its source?

geof Jan 16, 2003 9:28 AM

the image will still degrade before the passport expiration though.
I used one for a security pass, laminated the same as the passport and allready changed it twice (even though it was allways in my wallet).

marokero Jan 16, 2003 9:45 AM

At least here in the USA the new passports no longer have your own photos laminated over paper. I received mine last year after sending a digital print (from an inkjet), and my photo was scanned and printed on the back of the front cover, which was then given a special type of lamination which included a holographic copy protection.

Eddie J Jan 16, 2003 9:58 AM

I'd probably get a proper picture done for a passport becuase I only have a Canon S300 printer, but I use my own images for other stuff. So far I've used inkjet photos for Student ID cards, Uni ID cards, rail card and a proof of age card.

d77avid Jan 16, 2003 4:19 PM

Quote"At least here in the USA the new passports no longer have your own photos laminated over paper. I received mine last year after sending a digital print (from an inkjet), and my photo was scanned and printed on the back of the front cover, which was then given a special type of lamination which included a holographic copy protection."
Right you are. I looked the new passport and in fact it is a copy of my inkjet pic....So it doesnt matter if you drew it with crayons (if it looks good) The original aint there no more....fire away digicamaniacs

voxmagna Jan 16, 2003 4:35 PM

So you might as well upload a retouched JPEG to the passport office then, or send a floppy!