Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:08 PM   #1

Default Inkjets and Passports?

Has anyone taken a picture for a passport and printed it out on a inkjet? Passport app. says the photo must withstand 225 degrees.
lamination heat I expect.
stiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:16 PM   #2

not sure about heat, but i was told they are not acceptable because the image will not last as long as the passport itself; you may have to replace it sooner than you expect afterwards.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:36 PM   #3

just did it for my daughters passport..shot it against a neutral(beige) wall ,sized it the proper size,printed it on photo paper and it was accepted ..passport came 2 weeks later...so no problem
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:28 PM   #4

Not all countries will accept a photo printed on inkjet (due to it not being water resistant), or that may have been altered on a computer...they may also want a photographer's receipt. You'll have to see what the rules are in your area...if you are in a hurry for your pasport, or have deadline to get it, you don't want to give a bureaucrat any excuse for holding up your passport.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:58 AM   #5

Once the photo is laminated and stuck on the passport(where I doubt it will degrade very much being covered and out of the sunlight) how would any one know its source?
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:28 AM   #6

the image will still degrade before the passport expiration though.
I used one for a security pass, laminated the same as the passport and allready changed it twice (even though it was allways in my wallet).
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:45 AM   #7

At least here in the USA the new passports no longer have your own photos laminated over paper. I received mine last year after sending a digital print (from an inkjet), and my photo was scanned and printed on the back of the front cover, which was then given a special type of lamination which included a holographic copy protection.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:58 AM   #8

I'd probably get a proper picture done for a passport becuase I only have a Canon S300 printer, but I use my own images for other stuff. So far I've used inkjet photos for Student ID cards, Uni ID cards, rail card and a proof of age card.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 4:19 PM   #9

Quote"At least here in the USA the new passports no longer have your own photos laminated over paper. I received mine last year after sending a digital print (from an inkjet), and my photo was scanned and printed on the back of the front cover, which was then given a special type of lamination which included a holographic copy protection."
Right you are. I looked the new passport and in fact it is a copy of my inkjet pic....So it doesnt matter if you drew it with crayons (if it looks good) The original aint there no more....fire away digicamaniacs
Old Jan 16, 2003, 4:35 PM   #10

So you might as well upload a retouched JPEG to the passport office then, or send a floppy!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote