Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Accurate colour and a digicam

I have a fairly technical question about peopleís experience with accurate colour balance when using a digital image on a printing press.

I was trained (many years ago) on a Lino/Hell scanner, so the images Iíve been getting from a Nikon 5000 are, well, wrong. They look good and all but the shadows and highlights are not what I was trained to achieve (Iíll put a bit more about that below). When I try to manually balance the colours in PhotoShop, the images totally fall apart. I havenít sent any of the images to press yet, but have been doing some reproduction on colour printers that have looked pretty good.

The way I was trained, the cmyk balance for highlights should be about 3/2/2/0 and the shadows should be about 85/75/75/75. Of course, that can change depending on the subject, but general images work well and have neutral balance with those figures. What I get with the camera are way off from that.

Does anyone have an alternate balancing method that I can use to make sure I get decent printed shots.
Neil Speers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 1:26 PM   #2

:x As Homer often said: doh. In answer to my own question - the first thing to do is set up your colour preferences in PS. By changining the profile for CMYK to SWOP (Standard Web Offset Press) it cured my problems immerdiately. (Forgot to check that when I switched to OSX)
Neil Speers is offline   Reply With Quote