Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:54 AM   #1

Does anyone know what the difference is between an acceptance or a merit in photographic competitions? Which is a higher award?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:22 AM   #2

Presumably Merit is higher. Acceptance would indicate it's met the standard they require to let it into the competition (which may be a general quality standard - they let in anything that's a "good photo", or that it's among the best however many photos they're allowing in the competition - the fifty (or whatever number) best entries will be shortlisted for voting). The exact meaning of Merit, that is the condtions in which it's awarded, can vary greatly, but generally it means they think it deserves recognition as a great photo, even if it doesn't win one of the main prizes. Whether this means it's one of the ten best photos or one of that they've awarded them to almost everyone who entered depends on the specific competition.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, basically you got it right, I finally got an email from the photography federation. I got a message that I had got two merits in a state wide competition and I thought that merits were not acceptances, I was wrong. Im pretty happy as Ive never entered any bigger competitions before.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:11 PM   #4

aladyforty, I'm not surprised. you produce great pictures.
It has been a lot of fun watching you grow and improve over time.... Keep it up!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:42 PM   #5

Congrats on the merits
Keep up the good work:!:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:29 AM   #6

Thanks Eric and peter, two years ago I would never have thought that wildlife would have been my favorite photographic subject, I never took an interest (was mainly into candid people shots and landscapes) until I came in here and looked at all the wonderful photos submitted to the wildlife section, I have also got quite into taking sports shots for the same reason.:-)