Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1

I see numerous images with copyright marks posted. Do you have to register each image? Or can you put on an application "all images taken by". I'm confused.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

First it depends on which country you are in.

In the USA and Canada you own the copyright as soon as you create the image.
If you are working sales of your images, or worry that you may end up in court about the ownership of them, then you should submit them to the copyright office and have the copyright registered.

Having them registered helps if you end up in legal issues about their ownership. Other than that it is not really needed for most people.

You can send in large batches at a time to be done, but it does cost to have them registered by the governments.
Contact your local Copyright Office for submission guidelines if you want to procede.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3

Repeat after me: I am not a lawyer of any kind, this is true real legal advice....

I have been told by someone who does register and sell his work and who has consulted with a copywrite laywer about this issue. He said that how you register them can effect how much you could win in damages. His lawyer suggested that the fewer you register together the more you'll get.

I have no idea if this is actually true....

Repeat after me: I am not a lawyer of any kind, this is not true legal advice....

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4

So true, none of us are lawyers, at least that I know of :-)
And the laws change from state to state and provience to province and country to country too. It is probably best to get real legal advice before proceding with anything.

And IMHO: For the average person, who is not selling their work it is not really necessary to officially register.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick answers. I guess it would be just as easy to watermark the image.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:02 PM   #6

with a google search I found this:

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

I had another source that explained it too, but I can't find it now. Looks like it comes down to 'you do not have to do an official registration of your work'. I just use a script I have in PSP that adds my © info ata the bottom of my work.

As with the others here "I an NOT a Lawyer" LOL
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:33 PM   #7

In a nutshell, you own the copyright automatically unless you sign it away, but if you ever need to sue someone for infringing your copyright then having it officially registered makes things a whole lot easier. Unless you're a bigtime professional it's probably not worth the effort and expense.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:16 PM   #8

Excellent info. I was concerned about the c without registering it, but the link explained that. Thanks all.