Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:31 AM   #1

Hello. I recently bought the new Samsung Digimax i5, which has good quality video which stores files as MPEG-4.

I'm on the lookout for some good video editing software - I want to be able to:

cut, rotate, capture stills, brighten.

Can anyone recommend something?

Many thanks.
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:39 AM   #2

bump....

Come on someone else must do this??
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

Premier Elements
Videowave
Sony Movie Studio
Mainconcepts EVE

Many others also. Don't know that they all do everything you asked about, but most should. Use the internet to research the features of each. All of them may not do MPEG4 yet.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:27 AM   #4

Search on www.download.com for 'video edit', I just tried it and lots of suitable things came up.
spacedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:30 AM   #5

I must say that this is not the right forum for (advanced) video stuff, we are more in ... static picture here :G. My first thought is moviemaker, a basic editor that comes with windows XP. I use it sometime to trim, join some video clips, some basic effect, but I don't know much more. But I know that there are forums very oriented in this kind of discussion, I ended up sometimes when searching in google or yahoo.

Good luck
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:45 PM   #6

I have a Kodak V550.

Similarly, compression is MPEG-4, but file format is Quicktime (.mov).

The EasyShare 5.0.3 (downloaded from Kodak, upon product registration), can edit the movies i.e. "trim & splice" as Kodak calls it.

But then I had another problem - how to convert them to other formats or burn them onto DVD/VCD for more convenient archival/sharing?

I havn't got the solution yet.

But here some suggestions:
1. Apple Quicktime Pro - US$30. It doesn't burn the V550 movies onto DVD directly, but converts them into more standard .mp4 files, and then you may use Ulead Movie Factory to burn them (bundled with most DVD-writers).

2. Ulead Video Studio 9 US$100 - need to purchase additional MPEG-4 plug-in US$20. But still guarantee it can read v550 movies directly !!!!!

3. Pinnacle MovieBox Delux w/ Studio 9 US$270 - A hardware MPEG-1,2,4 codec connecting to USB 2.0. Still no guarantee it can read my v550 Mpeg-4 files !!!!!

So whatever s/w h/w you are purchasing, make sure it can read your MPEG-4 files in the first place, no matter how powerful the editing is.

Some boxes simply put that they can read AVI, but that 's not a guarantee about what type of compressions used in the AVI.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:01 AM   #7

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I have a Kodak V550.

Similarly, compression is MPEG-4, but file format is Quicktime (.mov).

The EasyShare 5.0.3 (downloaded from Kodak, upon product registration), can edit the movies i.e. "trim & splice" as Kodak calls it.

But then I had another problem - how to convert them to other formats or burn them onto DVD/VCD for more convenient archival/sharing?

Hi Big Potato,

Get winavi from http://www.winavi.com for conversion to DVD, VCD format. Use nero or whatever software that comes with your burner and make a vcd or a dvd out of it. If i am not mistaken, i think it does burning as well. Winavi. Its free for personal use. Bigpotato, I still regret buying the Samsung i5 over the KodakV550.

arvind..

arvind
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:34 AM   #8

Try this site for video help. http://www.videohelp.com/There's loads of info on there.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:46 AM   #9

musicarvind wrote:
".. I still regret buying the Samsung i5 over the KodakV550..."

Samsung i5 is not bad. I like it's small movie file size - only 230KB/sec, half of v550. But no obvious degradation in quality. Quite useful in some situations where you want long movies in a small SD card e.g. recording a lecture.

To Jack Russell,

Thanks for the info on the website!

FYI I just tried the "trial" versions of Ulead Video Studio 9 and Video Toolbox 2. They could read the v550 mpeg-4 (perhaps due to sharing the QT codec pre-installed already). But when I tried to convert the file to AVI, only the first few frames were shown, and then the movie was held STILL, seems paused ....

Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:47 AM   #10

I found TMPGEnc, with QTReader.VTP plugin, could convert the V550 MPEG-4 movies to MPEG-1 (w/o license) and MPEG-2 (need license beyond 30-days) files. Quite convenient. Performance quite acceptable (on Pentium-M 1.7GHz 512MB). The output mpeg-1,2 files will be used only as intermediate data for finally burning onto to DVD.

My question is:

What are the optimum bit-rates for the conversions?

Facts:

1. I notice not much diff in qualities btwn MPEG-1 & MPEG-2. (Maybe my eyes are not sensitive enough )

2. V550 MPEG-4 is natively 0.5MB/sec

3. For MPEG[1,2] bit-rates below 2MB/sec will show the output movies as quite "blocky", or "grainy"

4. For MPEG[1,2] bit-rates above 4MB/sec, again, I can't notice any diff in quality btwn diff bitrates.

5. At MPEG[1,2] bit-rate of 4MB/sec, the filesize are roughly the same as the original QT MPEG-4. Beyond that the filesizes grow roughly proportionally larger.

6. The theoretical optimum bit-rate of MPEG-1 is only 1.5MB/sec.