Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2003, 6:42 PM   #1

Default How is it?

Well unknowingly, my dad went out and bought the Olympus CAMEDIA 2Zoom. Is this a decent camera? for the entry level consumer newayz? will it take good photos without having to be tinkered, does it respond well? has it been built solidly? will it last a good amount of time?

well those are my questions, i hope u will be able to answer them

thx
Athlon_Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:31 PM   #2

Which Olympus Camedia Zoom? There are dozens of them from the type you put in your pocket to the middle range, to the high end dSLRs. To paraphrase, it's like saying you got a GM car and you want to know if it's great or not.

Also, although the camera has the Camedia name, Oly users rarely use that name unless they're talking specifically about the Camedia software...otherwise they use names like Oly C-700 (Olympus C-700UZ, usually people leave off the Z and UZ parts of the name), Oly D-40, E-20, etc.

As in any line of product that varies from cheap to expensive, it's a wide range of quality...but I know many happy Oly users, including myself with my C-700.

Also suggest you head over to the Olympus forum here to get a more targeted audience for Oly specific questions.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

well i said it..CAMEDIA [b]2[/b]Zoom

i think this isnt an N.A. model. it looks sorta like the 520.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:25 PM   #4

Gotcha now, the C-2Z...it's one of the ones for the Asian market (if you do a search on it on Google, you'll come up mostly with Asian pages).

Here's a page with a lot of info on it, http://www.asia.cnet.com/reviews/dig...003681p,00.htm

To quote, "Olympus C-2 Zoom is one of those cameras you either love or hate. While some photographers may find the lack of manual controls, such as ISO and shutter speed, and the low capture resolution minuses on their checklist, basic users will find the 2-megapixel CCD and 3x optical zoom sufficient to satisfy most average requirements today."
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:56 AM   #5

I believe the C2 is the same camera as the US version D520. I bought my wife a D520 for Christmas and she loves it. It is VERY simple to use, takes great snapshots, battery life is very good. She has taken hundreds of shots so far with no problems or complaints. I can't tell you the life expectancy, but there are many people using the previous versions of this camera. I think your Father stumbled on a great camera if what he needs is a small easy to use camera for snapshots. If he is an experienced photographer he may want something with manual controls, if not this is as good as it gets for this price range.

I would recommend getting a charger and some NiMH batteries. They will pay for themselves in no time.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 4:06 PM   #6

Well..umm he says he payed approx 400$$ CAD. A good deal??[/i]
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:46 PM   #7

I paid $182 USD but most retail places have it for $225-250. Looks like he paid about retail. Probably could have gotten it cheaper mail order. Still not outrageous. Somebody has to help support the local economy!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote