Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:18 PM   #11

Sent e-mail to Olympus europa germany wih 4files showing white spots they have advised me to return the camera to middlesex i think.I will return the camera to the seller Ace Cameras Bristol and will be saying very strongly that apixel remap is not acceptable under common trade laws since this is is an unreasonable time for depreciation to have taken place and does not say much for whatever the cause.this camera cost 370 bps in oct.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasm
I will return the camera to the seller Ace Cameras Bristol and will be saying very strongly that apixel remap is not acceptable under common trade laws since this is is an unreasonable time for depreciation to have taken place and does not say much for whatever the cause.
Actually, a certain number of problem pixels is allowed (I think the number is 10)...each company has their own dead pixel policy...even for LCD monitors. Here's an interesting article on problem pixels on LCD monitors:

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...4,pg,16,00.asp

The pixel remap feature is the same thing that Oly would do in their factory with the previous models...it's just they added now so the customer can do it themselves without having to send the camera in and be without their camera for a week or longer.

It's the same thing with hard drives, a certain number of dead sectors is acceptable, and current hard drive firmware can remap those problem sectors.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:02 PM   #13

I am glad that Olympus added the pixel mapping function to their cameras. It can save the consumer money and the lost of camera use.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:01 PM   #14

Now then anyone can draw up what is allowable or not.This does not exempt them from law.This requires that it must be suitable for the purpose it was sold and the warrenty value depreciates with time as usage normal wear and tear.3months was not my expected working life and the Office of Fair Trading I am sure would support my point.In their response to me Olympus did not mention pixel mapping and I expect the vendor Ace CAMERAS to carry more weight than me and support me, their role is to sell Olympus cameras and have advised me to return it thro them and not as olympus suggested direct.

JASM
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:13 PM   #15

This isn't about the law, its about hi-tech yield, and what you get in a consumer product for the price you pay. The ccd manufacturers will produce a batch of ccd's. All will follow some sort of statistical model for pixel failure. Perfect ones might get a different part number/ spec and get put in hi-end cameras (could be industrial/medical etc). Those wot are left are graded, dead pixels are mapped out (concealed) and go into the our good cams, the worst might end up in webcams!

So unless you're a professional or industrial buyer paying thousands for a cam with a spec, you get what you pay for. Movie cams and semi-pro TV cams are the same. However, Studio grade TV cams should be perfect, since a dead pix really stands out on zoom and pans.

As I said earlier, one or two corrected pix wouldn't worry me, but degradation over time suggests a possible manufacture or contamination problem. Slow pixel death is not acceptable. Caveat Emptor!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:25 AM   #16

Briefly let the buyer beware does not free vendors from Sale Of Goods Act nor do Olympus sell cameras subject to acceptance of inferior hardware.

jasm
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:04 PM   #17

To ensure you have a true pixel problem you can use the program at http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm
Either leave the lens cap on to take the picture, or use a film changing bag if you have one, or go into a very dark room and place the front of the lens against a dark (clean) towel. Make sure flash is suppressed.
My Fuji FinePixs fared as follows: 1300 - 7 pixels at various intensities; 2300 - 1 pixel at about half full intensity (value 141); 2800 - clean.
A completely "dead" pixel has a value of 0; a completely "hot" pixel has a value of 255.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:42 PM   #18

Mentor ron let me in the first instance thank you for your interest in my problem I ran your test and it shows no dead or hot pixels I only did tiff files @1/30 and 1 sec because of late hour also unlike images the black tiff images were absolute black when blownup Do we conclude one or two small white dots which only showed usually when blown up is noise?
jasm
Old Jan 26, 2003, 9:07 PM   #19

Hot (and warm) pixels will show up when the image is displayed at 100% or "original size" on your monitor. I confirm the hot pixel coordinates HOTPIXELTEST finds by converting my JPEG to a BMP and checking the coordinates using the Windows PAINT program (it displays the X and Y coordinates your mouse pointer is sitting on).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 7:15 AM   #20

MentorRon

These white dots maybe one or two shows up in full zoom into image and is barely seen in full size.I carried out the test @1/30 1sec and 3.5 sec and press test having browsed and selected files and it shows zero hot zero dead .Is the appearance of 1or 2 dots then acceptable I ask as a real newcomer.
jasm

or am i missing something in test?