Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2003, 4:22 PM   #31

This is definitely a hot pixel at coordinates 580 (x) and 141 (y): I make them into TIFF or BMP and put your cursor on the dot in Microsoft Paint program to get these coordinates. I don't know why HOTPIXELTEST wouldn't pick this up on a completely black frame that you created to test it with that program. I assume it showed up brightly on that black frame.
I haven't tested either of these pictures to see the "level" of this pixel, but will later when I have time. It appears as though it's above 150 though just from looking.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 5:00 PM   #32

MentorRon,
Thats the crazy part they do not show at all.There is another factor I shot a lot i mean 60 plus before those 2 in car seats buggy and all over just to catch asmile or something thats why I took 12 or more last time before the test it has never shown up on a black image maybe ccd has to really heat up. they are there that is the only thing certain so far its knowing what best to do about it.In an earlier e-mail from olympus they suggested pixel mapping the shop I bought it online are anxious that I return it to them and they will then engage olympus.
jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:12 PM   #33

Using your picture 12059631.gdaughter.jpg, and changing the "threshold for hot pixels" in HOTPIXELTEST to 200 (as it is expecting a black frame and will judge all pixels hot in a real shot), I found the "level" of that hot pixel (co-ords 580-141) is 205 (out of a possible 255). I can tell it is a true dead pixel as there is a common "halo" of incorrect level pixels around it. Can you post the black frame you took as well? I'd like to try different settings of HOTPIXELTEST with it. I don't know if they mapped that single pixel out, if by doing that it would also remove the halo. Hopefully the halo is caused by adjacent pixels being overwhelmed by the output voltage of the bad one, but I'm not an expert on CCD arrays from a theory standpoint.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 3:23 PM   #34

MentorRon
I have uploaded black square except you cant see it.On page 2 with test sq. is an image I took this afternoon showing crane supposed to have been retained to load heavy millatary vehicles.No marks I can see.
jasm
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:14 PM   #35

That picture of the crane wasn't taken at the same resolution as the gdaughter photos. The gdaughter was taken at 800x599. If there WAS a hot pixel it would be in a diff spot on the larger crane pic and my math isn't good enough to know where to look. Also, the more light that hits the sensor, the less likely you'll see a hot pixel. With my FinePix 1300, I could only see them when using flash indoors or without flash indoors or outdoors at night.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 3:28 AM   #36

MentorRon
Yes they were ,the crane was tif and the gdaughter shq it is all very frustrating I really appreciate your interest but I think I have taken too much of you time already I am going to contact dealer.Thanks once more.

jasm