Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2003, 6:24 PM   #1

Default dead pixel?

Found what has to be a dead pixel on a dark section of a messing about indoor no flash image.A bright white dot when zoomed becomes a slightly yellow square .This is a 3 month year old c4000.Do you accept and take it out you would never see it in a normal shot.Do you pixel map or scream at olympus.Reading the forums its something i have been very conscious of.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:48 AM   #2

On reflection is "hot " pixel a better description.

jasm
Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:52 AM   #3

I would say that you have a hot pixel. You can go into the menu and use the pixel mapping program. This is what Olympus will do if you send them the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:23 AM   #4

I recently found one or two hot pixels on my Minolta 7i. I can even pinpoint which date and on which picture # they appeared for the first time.

Does anyone know if Minolta has a pixel mapping utility like the one described above? I've never heard of this technique before.

Thanks,

- Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:37 AM   #5

I assume pixel mapping will eliminate the offending pixel which reduces by one the amount purchased.Does anyone know the drill for checking ccd,Irememember reading about it in a forum here or dpreview but cant recall the drill to achieve a black image to highlight hot pixels.
jasm
Old Jan 20, 2003, 4:30 PM   #6

Talking to myself a wee bit tried a couple of images against a dark wall 1&2 sec exposures two little white dots about the same distance apart but not on the same spots.Ignorance is making me wonder if paranoia is not a bit involved here .

jasm
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:33 PM   #7

jasm

If they are hot pixels they should show up in the same place. The colors may vary but the hot pixels should not move.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 4:46 AM   #8

Default dead pixel?

I have a similar problem with my Canon A40. I was on another website and they called this effect, problem or whatever way you want to label it as 'Blue noise chunks'. It appears in the dark areas of images I have taken and is more pronounced if I use the Slow Synch shutter/flash? or a shutter speed slower than 1/8 sec. It does have a blue colour and appears in the bottom righthand corner of the images. My question is, is it a defective pixel or is it just a by product of using the above flash/shutter speeds?

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 5:56 AM   #9
joy

Default blue pixel

I just bought an Olympus C-4000 yesterday. Yes, I was very excited, but also a bit disappointed... because after taking a few pictures, I noticed a blue dot at the same place in every picture. I'm assuming it's a pixel problem.

:? Is this the "hot pixel" you were talking about? Then what is it called when a "pixel is overexposed and blown out forever"? (It is something I read somewhere... can't remember)

I'm going to figure out the pixel mapping thing and see if it doesn't fix it. I was going to exchange it today, but I'll see if I can fix it....
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:13 PM   #10

I probably wouln't worry if I had to map out a couple of pixels. But if more come back, then you should be concerned about degradation. Mapping out isn't like re-birth - it's really about concealing a problem found in most mass produced consumer ccd chips.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote