Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:17 PM   #11

By any chance, had the camera been somewhere warm - inside a car, for example - before being taken out into the snow? This sort of result could be due to condensation either on the lens or somewhere inside the camera.

Do you see this sort of effect regularly, or is it just on these pics, or just pics taken at low temperatures?

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:28 PM   #12

fenlander,
The camera is kept in my shirt pocket, it was cold that day but I thought a cold camera brought inside would cause condention, not a warm camera brought outside.
I did notice one thing though, if I set my exposure to a -.7 the smearing is just about gone.
This only seems to happen on bright colors or white in bright sunlight.
Another thing, if I take a closeup of my black cat inside using flash, he comes out more of a gray with very bright green eyes, but this is only with a closeup and using flash, using no flash and the "museum" setting, the photo comes out fine.
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:46 PM   #13

Bill Benson...just a couple of observations. The area around the face and hat is overexposed. The hat looks flourescent, were you at a high altitude, very clear sky, reflective snow, with a possible high level of UV?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:04 PM   #14

Certainly not JPEG artifacting.

Could be condensation - your pocket is warm and humid (compared to the outside air) so taking the camera back and forth from warm to cold could get some frost/moisture on the lens. I think it is a good idea if you are going out in the cold to just let the camera get cold and stay cold until it goes into a plastic bag before going inside. Might need to keep the batteries in a warm pocket, but I don't using disposable Lithium AAs.

I am not at all sure what is going on.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:44 AM   #15

The pictures were taken in Montville, CT near where I live, it was cold and sunny.
No snow in parking lot where picture was taken.
As I mentioned before, I did find that if I take the same picture setting the exposure to -.7 the hat looks ok.
The only differance was I took the hat outside in the sun and made some tests by setting the exposure up and down.
My son was not around for me to retake the very same picture in the same place.
I would like to leave the exposure set at -.7, but when I turn off the camera it goes back to the default of 0.
Bill
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:28 AM   #16

Bill

If it is ok with you I am going to revmove the two photos from my pbase site.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 11:06 AM   #17

Phil,
Yes and thanks for posting them, I appreciate all the help.

Bill
Old Jan 25, 2003, 2:51 PM   #18

Just a idea: digital cameras sometimes have a tendency to "bloom" (smear) at high-contrast edges of subjects. It is usually when the bright area exceeds the limit of contrast they can handle. Thats why reducing the EV helps: you lower the value of the brightest areas toward the max value the sensor can handle. Canon A40's do this a lot. One of the reasons is that they tend to slightly overexpose, causing their own problem.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote