Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:55 PM   #1

Hi everyone. First post here, fantastic site.

The past few days I've been researching what digi cam to buy and have pretty much settled on the Casio Z750. The only thing that slightly concerns me is the number of pixels that make up the LCD display. Some ultra slim cameras with similar size screens have twice the number of pixels and I'm thinking maybe it is best to get a 230k LCD camera.

6.3 cm - 115.200 pixels (Casio)
6.3 cm - 230.400 pixels (Sony T33/Samsung i5)

Basically, does having 230k pixels make much difference on a 2.5" screen? I'm guessing it probably does and I would really like the perfect camera (for an amateur) as it's a huge amount of money for me. As a PC gamer things like resolutions can bug me.

The Sony T33 seems to have questionable picture quality so I'm not considering that, but maybe the Samsung i5 will be better so I'm hoping a review will surface on the net soon. I'm not sure if I should just go with the Casio anyway or whether to look elsewhere.
spacedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:01 PM   #2

This doesn't really answer your question (I'm good at that!), but my take on the issue is that you buy a camera for the quality of the images it captures, not for the quality of the on-camera display.
I sort of look at the LCD monitor as a viewfinder -- a visual referrence to frame the shot -- and the screen resolution doesn't have to be any better than what allows me to do this.
If you plan to do a lot of on-camera picture viewing, it might be nice to have a monitor with higher resolution, but I don't do this. It also might help in certain situations where focus is critical, allowing you to judge better than on a lower rez monitor.
But, I still feel that the primary selling point of a camera should be the usefulness of the features and the quality of image capture. LCD rez would only influence me if the cameras in question were pretty equal in those catagories.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

I have a Z750 and the LCD is fine for me, but my near vision isn't the greatest. If I dig up a pair or reading glasses I can see it is blocky.

If you would settle for a T33 for screen resolution your standards aren't too high for the rest of the camera. The flash is pitifully weak and it is over a half stop slower at wide for available light, which is exacerbated by having to hold the camera out in front of you without a viewfinder. Outdoor pictures are fine, but you would be disappointed with use indoors. And with no viewfinder it can be a little difficult in bright sunlight. The Samsung has the same problems but the flash is better.

You might want to look at the Kodak V550. It has a great LCD and lots of othergood features. The movies evidently aren't quite as nice as the Z750, but they are 640 X 480 at 30fps and MPEG4. Unlike most cameras you can use the optical zoom with movies, albeit with some noise in the sound track. Like the Casio you can store a large photo album in the permanent memory to show off in the nice LCD. Much better than a useless throw-away memory card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:20 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your reply. I don't tink the Samsung or Sony ones really compare in other aspects, so you're right the LCD isn't worth getting them for.

The Kodak V550 seems like the only real alternative to the Casio Z750, and to be honest I can't make up my mind as both look so good. Twice the pixels on the LCD is a big bonus but it comes at the expense of battery life. Although I can't see myself using it for more than an hour at a time. The Casio's slightly better video is a plus point for me too. The only way may be to try and get a demo of the two in a shop somewhere. Basically what I don't want to do is pay £300 for a camera and be annoyed by the LCD every time I use it. Unfortunately I'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that. The V550 hasn't been widely reviewed yet and isn't even in stock in some UK places, so maybe in a week or so some more reviews will be around.

I'd still like to hear any other opinions of the V550 vs Z750 in regards to anything, LCD/picture quality/software etc.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:27 AM   #5
DBB

There is one other consideration, and I don't even know if it's relevant in your case.

If there is NO optical viewfinder, than the LCD screen is very important. If there is such a viewfinder - forget my post:lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:44 AM   #6

"...The Casio's slightly better video is a plus point for me too..."

I watched many z750 & v550 sample movies, before I bought the v550. I am now quite happy with the video of v550, sharp & smooth - it's simply a much more portable substitute for my tape DV. Optical zoomable movies are very useful, to catch active subjects like children.

One of the artifacts of Casio video that I don't notice in v550, is a "rainbow ripples" phenomenon in Casio gallery:
http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z750/CIMG4118.AVI

The balcony floor of the windmill body radiates out what I termed "rainbows of ripples". Another sample video a guy wearing prisoner's black/white striped T-shirt, just radiates out the same pattern but at much intense ampitude like a superman.

I suspect it's caused by "purple fringe" problem of the Casio lens (vs v550's Schneider lens).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
The balcony floor of the windmill body radiates out what I termed "rainbows of ripples". Another sample video a guy wearing prisoner's black/white striped T-shirt, just radiates out the same pattern but at much intense ampitude like a superman.

I suspect it's caused by "purple fringe" problem of the Casio lens (vs v550's Schneider lens).
Neither effect have anything to do with purple fringing. They are both a result of having only 640 X 480 pixels to capture the image.

For the rail it is pretty easy to imagine the pixels from an angled rail not lining up perfectly with the limited pixels in the image. That is called the jaggies. Many cameras have anti-aliasing filters to try to smooth that out. But it is like aggressive noise reduction in that it can reduce the resolution. When you get down to 640 X 480 most cameras would show jaggies in the rail even with a still photo. I doubt any camera would have effective anti-aliasing at 30 frames a second. If a camera did have sufficient anti-aliasing to smooth out that rail in a still photo the image would be of less resolution. Any 640 X 480 movie from a digital camera at that distance with that focal length would have gotten jaggies in the rail.

The colors are from moiré interference. This is a good example from a building in a still photo at low resolution. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...g/Moire_01.htm It is just the way the pattern in the image lines up with the limited pixels of a low resolution shot. I would think any camera would give the same results.

I've taken plenty of movies with the Z750 and haven't had occasion to take an image with those results. I'm sure my camera would have given the same results as they got at the windmill though. As would any other digital camera. It is simply the physics of lining up a limited number of pixels with angled lines or patterns.

I like the V550 and recommend it highly to anyone who doesn't want manual controls. But the Z750 does take better movies from all of the examples I've seen. Steve might have been a little overly critical, but the V550 movies aren't great.

I've had 5 digital cameras and the Z750 is the second lowest for purple fringing. Second only to my FZ10, which has a really good Leica lens. I find the purple fringing to be pretty well controlled.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:34 PM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Neither effect have anything to do with purple fringing. They are both a result of having only 640 X 480 pixels to capture the image.

For the rail it is pretty easy to imagine the pixels from an angled rail not lining up perfectly with the limited pixels in the image. That is called the jaggies. Many cameras have anti-aliasing filters to try to smooth that out. But it is like aggressive noise reduction in that it can reduce the resolution. When you get down to 640 X 480 most cameras would show jaggies in the rail even with a still photo. I doubt any camera would have effective anti-aliasing at 30 frames a second. If a camera did have sufficient anti-aliasing to smooth out that rail in a still photo the image would be of less resolution. Any 640 X 480 movie from a digital camera at that distance with that focal length would have gotten jaggies in the rail.

The colors are from moiré interference. This is a good example from a building in a still photo at low resolution. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...g/Moire_01.htm It is just the way the pattern in the image lines up with the limited pixels of a low resolution shot. I would think any camera would give the same results.
I tried very hard to repeat such problem on my Kodak V550 (mpeg-4) and Canon Ixus (m-jpeg) w/o success. I've tried even more densely black/white stripes than the Casio sample. So I believe a problem unique to Casio.

I may send you the other "prisoner T-shirt" sample movie (6MB) which is 10 times worse than the Casio official sample, totally unacceptable. (Yes, if merely the Casio official sample movie, I would fairly accept the quality, afterall it's just a DC w/ auxilliary movie feature).

I did try to relate that to Moire b4 suspecting Casio or mpeg-4 problem also, but seemed unlike:
Moire is a phenomenon or illusion when your eyes move.
But in the sample movie, my eyes keep still starring at the screen, but still got the pattern.

Why suspect purple fringing (or more academic "chromatic aberration")?

Bcos in some earlier printed magazine reviews (not on web), comparing, Sony DSC-W7 & Canon Ixus 700 vs Casio z750, much of of the z750's lens purple fringe problem was revealed by taking pictures of some testing stripe patterns (Sony Carl Zeiss & Canon lens didn't have the problem on the same subjects).

Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:05 PM   #9

Finally I could get a snapshot of the "rainbow ripple" effect on a man in "prisoner's black/white strip t-shirt", produced by Casio Z750 movie.

(Thanks to VLC player. Microsoft Mediaplayer does NOT allow one to snapshot a single frame).

Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:25 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone for their advice. My Casio Z750 arrived today and it is simply awsome. It's far smaller than I possibly imagined and it seems perfect. I couldn't recommend it more. The LCD screen is also fantastic and I'm glad I didn't consider getting on with a higher resolution, it simply isn't needed.

I had problems with a few online shops (the main one being Internet Direct - their site is flashy but I urge you to avoid them; lying about stock, wasting time, refusal to answer phone, incorrect billing, early charging of credit card). In the end I used camerabox.co.uk. I phoned up at 2.30 in the afternoon and it had arrived by 8.30am the next day. I was stunned! Camera Box are highly recommended.