Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1

I was doing a little reading on the Fuji Z1 and the Fuji F10, Fujifilm's 2 coolest new digital cameras. And I have a question: I read how the F10's processor, instead of expanding the 6Megapixel to 12 megapixels like their sensor has done before, uses the extra definition to reduce noise in high-ISO photos, and thus making the camera an ideal choice for low-light situations. I just read on dscresource that the Z1's sensor does the same thing as the F10, and chooses not to boost the image to 10 megapixels. Does this mean that it will also perform rather well in low light, and at higher ISOs (I think max ISO for the Z1 is 800 vs. 1600 for the F10)?

I am simply looking at the tradeoffs between the cameras. Assuming the sensors perform the same way (dscresource claims they do), you can get the stylish Z1, sacrificing battery life, ISO 1600, and a few manual controls such as white balance. Or, for an almost identical price, you can get the no-nonsense F10, with ISO1600, the ability to set white balance, great battery life, but a somewhat bulkier camera (not too much bulkier, however)

Thanks in advance for your help. I am looking forward to reading Steve's reviews of these cameras if they are ever reviewed. In fact, I may wait to buy either one until I see a review of it from Steve.
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:38 AM   #2

Can you wait until October?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...5_e900_pr.html

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:24 AM   #3

I agree with rinniethehun, this camera gives you manual controls which are not available on the other two. This opens up one of the biggest advantages of digital, cost free experimentation. And the use of AA size NiMH batteries makes it very economical since one set of 4 NiMH batteries is only about $10 and this, along with the pair that came with the camera, gives you three sets of batteries.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:12 AM   #4

That is one kickass camera that you mentioned! I may consider waiting until that one becomes available, although I do not see any reason why I would need 9 megapixels, and I would also have to spend another ~$150 since it would be a brand new model.

I have a question about the E900 though, why did Fuji get rid of ISO 1600? Did people not find it useful on the F10?
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote