Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:53 AM   #1

Hello all,

I just heard of companies that makes photo albums of your digital photos. You get a software from them (download via internet) and layout the album on your PC. Then burn a CD and send to them. They will produce a photo album for you with the layout and content you choosed.

Linen, PVC, leather cover to choose from with different colors and more. Several sizes available, more or less photos, 1 or 2-page-prints and so on.

Has anyone experience with this? If so - I am looking for reviews, recommendations, tips, prices ... everything.

TIA, Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

I've had some experience with Kodak's photo services. You can get your books bound in linen or leather, arrange your photos in several page layouts, add captions to each photo and choose from several page and font styles. The pages are glossy and professional-looking - very classy. You can upload it directly to their website - no need to burn a CD. My family members have really liked the books I've given them for Christmas, anniversaries, etc. Check out http://www.kodakgallery.com
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply - what can you tell me about the image quality? I son't mean the professional looking album and stuff. How good were the pictures in the means of print quality? Maybe if you compare to the usual inkjet printer?

I read lots of bad opinions about the quality (exposure, colors, artefacts) in reviews, but these are technically oriented. What I am after is a usable, good-looking photograph.

Regards, Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:51 AM   #4

The image quality depends on what you upload. What ever you upload for printing has to be at a suitable resolution - at least 150-200 ppi. If you upload a poor quality scanned photo, it will look tacky no matter how it's printed. Even old scanned photos can be improved digitally, however, as long as your expectations are realistic. If you scan an old 3.5 x 5 print, don't expect it to print as a beautiful full-page 8 x 10 image. You can, however, do some resizing and resampling of small old prints and put those on a page that displays 2-4 images with pretty good results. If you upload pictures taken with a 3 MP camera and minimally cropped, you can get a nice full-page image. As you put the book together you will get a warning message if the resolution of a particular image is too poor to print at your selected size. The site also provides guidelines regarding what resolutions are required for good prints. These guidelines are useful for both traditional prints and the books. Hope this information helps.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:50 PM   #5

I've tried a few, and have been disappointed:

1. Photoworks.com - was TERRIBLE - don't even bother. You prepare it online, with decent software, but the result is a waste of time, and $

2. MyPublisher.com - download the software, results are so-so. They have several options for the books, from simple to fancy, but when you compare the photo as it appears in the book, to a printed version (both digital) - unfortunately, it's no there

3. Snapfish.com - you work on-line, but results are not good

4. Shutterfly.com - simple books, but results are so-so.

Bottom line - I'm still searching..... I think that the ink-jet technology is just still limited. Would love to find another alternative, as photobooks are a super concept.
taliaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:05 AM   #6

The best.....

http://www.graphistudio.com/en/index.html

These are also highly recommended...

http://asukabook.com/

http://www.jorgensen.com.au/

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote