Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:27 PM   #1

Hi,

I normally use the Adobe suite to do all Photographic and Design jobs. I have just finished my 30 day trail of CS2 and the one major enhancement is the RAW processing side of things with in Photoshop CS2.

Now I own CS but I do not feel £120warrants the one feature I want to use. So my question is, does anyone know of a cheap or free bit of software out there which is as good as the RAW software with CS2?

I have had a look at Capture One, but that to is quite expensive and I do not like the way I have to process the image as a tiff or jpeg before I can get it into Photoshop.

And as if I am not picky enough already! It needs to work on Mac OS Tiger and be compatible with a Canon 20D.

Thanks for your suggestions

Grant
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:13 PM   #2
Administrator

grant.smith wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I normally use the Adobe suite to do all Photographic and Design jobs. I have just finished my 30 day trail of CS2 and the one major enhancement is the RAW processing side of things with in Photoshop CS2.

Now I own CS but I do not feel £120warrants the one feature I want to use. So my question is, does anyone know of a cheap or free bit of software out there which is as good as the RAW software with CS2?
This is not the answer to your question. But, just to make sure you are aware of it, ACR 2.4 for PSCS supports the EOS-20D. So, if you already have CS, you can download the ACR 2.4 updateto process your files:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2705

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

You might get more responsesin the Canon EOS Digital SLR Forum, or in the Editors (Photoshop, etc.) Forum. So, if you don't get any responses here, let me know via PM, and I'll be glad to move this thread.

Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

Thanks JimC,

Maybe I did not explain myself to well, thanks for the suggestion but I am already using ACR 2.4, but I love the functionality of the ACR in CS2, that's why I was wondering if there is some similar software out there?
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:38 PM   #5
Administrator

grant.smith wrote:
Quote:
Thanks JimC,

Maybe I did not explain myself to well, thanks for the suggestion but I am already using ACR 2.4, but I love the functionality of the ACR in CS2, that's why I was wondering if there is some similar software out there?
I wasn't sure that you knew about 2.4, so I thought I'd mention it.

I don't know guy.

Bibble is cross platform (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux). But,some users don't seem to like the interface. You may want to give it a try to see what you think:

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

I understand that Eric Hyman (founder of Bibble Labs) has some pretty darn sophisticated highlight recovery algorithms built into his raw conversion.

Hopefully, you'll get some more responses.

Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:13 PM   #6

The RAW converter in PS Elements has almost the same functionality of the one in the full version -- doesn't have colorspace conversions, but you can do that later in PS.
Here is a link to a website that lists and describes more Raw converters than I've ever seen in one place: http://raw-converter.com
Granthagen
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 6:59 PM   #7

Quote:
And as if I am not picky enough already! It needs to work on Mac OS Tiger and be compatible with a Canon 20D.
Capture One (C1) comes in an LE version (Mac and PC) for about $90. Converting to TIFF should not be big of an impediment to your work flow considering the batch capability of C1.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote