Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:35 AM   #1

Default uk or usa

:?: I am off to the USA for 6 months-- are digital camera's cheaper , (in the shops-- rather concerned re recent news on internet buying/rip offs), and would they be ok when back in UK--ie compatable electrically/ with PC's here
I like the new sony mju digitals 300 or 400 models as an example.

Any one help with this?, Thanks
david moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:18 AM   #2

Can't comment on costs since I'm not in either country...I suggest you surf the US camera websites for the city you're heading for, but don't forget duties when you bring the camera back into the UK...considering it's 6 months, you might be allowed to bring more back.

The electricity difference only has to do with your battery charger...you'd have to get a new one when you get back to UK...don't bother with the AC adapter for the camera for now (if you want one at all).

Many US cameras are also CE approved, but not the other way around.

The only thing is your warranty will be useless once you leave the US.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:22 AM   #3

There are many excellent and quality on line shops in the US. If you purchase your camera in the US your warranty should be good even if you go back to the UK. You may be required to pay for all the shipping.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:25 AM   #4

I can only comment from past experience. I used to travel to London every six weeks (just love England, BTW) and my daughter lives there. Everything seems more expensive in the UK, electronics and cameras particularly so. My daughter (who is on the stage in the West End) buys her electronica when she comes to the States, usually at B&H camera in NYC who are reliable and very much customer service oriented. She tells me mail order from the US is not worth the hassle.

BTW she says most things such as chargers for cameras etc. have multi voltage abilities and may be used with adaptor in the UK. My Sony F707 is that way.

Good luck. Enjoy the states.

Jim
JimCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:39 AM   #5

Actually, most chargers AREN'T multi-voltage. You have to check if it is multi-voltage when buying it. Even my PDA that's meant to be used around the world only comes with the local charging voltage (I had to buy a second charger for it to use it in North America).
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:36 AM   #6

My Radio Shack AC adapter is multi-voltage, and Radio Shack's are everywhere. It was under $20.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:41 AM   #7

Check this item on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29996
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdev1
My Radio Shack AC adapter is multi-voltage, and Radio Shack's are everywhere. It was under $20.
We're talking about chargers that can operate on 110/240...not one of those cheapie things that you can switch from 3v-12v, but doesn't have enough power to power a cd player. Digital cameras require adapters with a lot of current (the Oly C-7x0 cameras need more than 2amps and these cheapie adapters only supply 300mA-600mA).
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:44 PM   #9

Get the camera there but not the charger if AAs. If it's not an AA job watch out for the voltage situation on the charger.

Beware when coming through customs. If you are kopped it'll cost you roughly 21% of the cost of the camera - is it still cheaper?

If you walk through and don't declare and get caught the penalty can be high.

If it has a TV connector it might not work with our PAL system but if it's cheap who cares.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:05 PM   #10

Code:
We're talking about chargers that can operate on 110/240...not one of those cheapie things that you can switch from 3v-12v,
Let's understand something about 'power supplies wot run cameras' - not the remote charger. In UK there are these Uniross 1-2 amp switchable sorts we call linear, bit bigger and heavier, but smooth and ok to tether up for internal shooting.

In the cam manual it mentions all sorts of stuff about warranty, (which we ignore). These smaller, switch mode type supplies are dead handy. BUT if I was risking tethering my expensive cam to one, I'd like more certainty and wonder what's behind the power jack and how well the output rail is protected against an overvoltage fault! Zener diodes rule - OK!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote