Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:26 AM   #11

boy, I sure seemed to have touched some nerves on this issue

yes, I have heard about problems with many NYC internet vendors as well

internet problems are tougher to prove and track down since many times there is no record or it is a he said she said kinda thing, not to mention that the internet laws are somewhat vague

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:31 AM   #12
Administrator

gregg wrote:
Quote:
yes...if he finds out one of his advertisers who supports this site is fraud, he should remove them from the list
Gregg:

As I mentioned before, Steve has no control over which dealers appear in the price search engines.Dealtime (a.k.a., Shopping.com) is providing a list of dealers with prices for products. You'll find most of the same dealers in the other price search engines, too.

So, if you want to be able to find the dealers that stock an item (and compare prices), you have to put up with both the good and the bad with this type of system.

I have seen Steve post that he's complained to the search engine providersabout some of these dealers in the past, too.

Keep in mind that these price search engines do allow you to see customer reviews for any given dealer, and have a vendor rating system.

Bottom Line: if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. Pricing is very competitive now, and most dealers use the same distributors. So, when one dealer has a price that's significantly lower than the others, Caveat Emptor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:40 AM   #13

ok, I guess I'm naive...

I though Steve's list as well as other review sites use dealers who buy the advertising space individually like radio...I didn't know that the list is generated from a source they have no control over

unlike say the local sore that advertises on the local radio station

i stand corrected

gregg
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:06 PM   #14
Administrator

When we do find less than reputable dealers being listed in our Buy Box we ask that Dealtime not display them on our site. As JimC has told you already, forget the guys with the lowest prices, especially if they're really lower than the others. I only trust a few NYC dealers - B&H Photo Video is always good. Check the Dealtime ratings and then ALWAYS check the store out at www.ResellerRatings.com -- if they're not listed, stay away - if there is any number of complaints, stay away. Always use common sense - nobody can sell something for 30% or more lessthan all the other guys without leaving something out and charging you for it later or charging rediculously high shipping and handling fees.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:25 PM   #15

...just couldn't resist...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9573.html

That's gotta be the lowest rating I've ever seen!

...and their affiliate...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4099.html

The next lowest rating!

...kinda makes you wonder who gave the "very satisfied" rating - maybe they dialed a wrong number!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:29 PM   #16

thanks for your response...the bell went off when I noticed that WAWA was selling the c-8080 new for under $400

I was suspect that it was too good to be true...but wanted to believe it was possible as I hear the c-8080 is about to be discontinued (or has been already)

gregg

Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:32 PM   #17

In addition to B&H photo listed by Steve I have had very good service and reasonable prices from Adorama and Abe's of Maine ( I don't know how Maine comes in), both NYC dealers.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:41 PM   #18
Administrator

Many NY based dealers are fine (for example: B&H, 17th Street Photo, Adorama). But, I'd use extra caution with Brooklyn based dealers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:16 PM   #19

I just ordered an Olympus C-7070 ($354) from 17th Street Photolast night Sunday, used Paypal, and just got my Quantum View UPS notification of shipment today, Monday. No phone calls to confirm the order but then I did order several accessories on my own like an AC adapter ($32), memory card/reader/cleaner kit ($50), and polarizing filter ($50) so maybe they figured there was no point in nickling me more.

Total order was $504 including shipping.

They were not the cheapest but they were one of the cheapest following Wawa, Butterfly, and refurbished units so I think I was wise in not trying to save another $20 by going to one of these options. The accessories seemed reasonable and they took Paypal.

So far I am happy.

Steven
drj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:54 PM   #20

very good

FYI...i had ruled out this camera until I found out the following

I never read the review here because when I read somewhere on a spec list that the remote wasn't available for the 7070 (the words optional weren't even used) so i never looked any further(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c7070wz.asp)those crazy people on DPreview:lol::lol::lol:

ps...remotes are generally not available in your local retail store....I got mine on ebay after I bought my 3040...about $29....you can almost always buy one directly from the manufacturer

gregg