Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:43 AM   #1

All,

Firstly hi, this is my first time using Steve's site.

I took an indoor picture today with my sony p200 and accidentally set the shutter speed to 30 seconds. When the picture was taken and processed, the result was just a white screen (washed out and over exposed).

My question relating to this is:

- Can this indoor (not too bright) over exposed photo damage the camera's CCD? As I know if you point digital cameras at the sun, this can damage the CCD. I am guessing that just letting too much light in will not but anyone's opinion would be very useful. :?

p.s.

What sort of activities can damage the CCD?
sonycamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:08 AM   #2

sonycamuser wrote:
Quote:
Can this indoor (not too bright) over exposed photo damage the camera's CCD? As I know if you point digital cameras at the sun, this can damage the CCD. I am guessing that just letting too much light in will not but anyone's opinion would be very useful. :?

I doubt very much that this will have any effect whatsoever on your camera, other than crap photos .

All of the settings in the camera are there to be used. It just depends on the circumstances in which you take a photo that determines if the results will be correct or not combined with those settings.
Quote:
What sort of activities can damage the CCD?

Dropping the camera !!

Seriously though, if used as it should be and avoiding directly pointing at the full sun, the major problem will simply be wear and tear.

We see some fantastic shots of sunsets & sunrises, which won't have an adverse effect on the camera, but certainly try to avoid pointing at it during the day when it is a tad intense !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

Steve,

Thanks for that. Somewhat new to this and am learning at every turn!!!!:|
sonycamuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4

That's ok Sony.

One of the best ways to learn about anything is to ask others who have already been there and done that.

Stick around Steve's Forums and you will find many members more than able to answer virtually anything you ask.

If you want advice and tips on using your camera, have a mooch in the Sony Forum. I see you haven't had a response just yet over there, but don't let that put you off, most people get the help they want/need eventually.

I believe that a big part of the fun in this hobby is the learning process.

I'm still very much learning and having fun 8).

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote