Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

Their are many ideas how to archive photos. What are some good ideas. How do you archive your photos.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:26 AM   #2

There are a few concepts to archiving your photos, but they all have a some common attributes:
1 - Make sure you actually do it! I know this sounds dumb/obvious, but it really is something important to consider. I have a CD Burner, but I found I didn't back up my pictures. I just didn't take the time... it was a hassle. All the usual excuses. So while backing up to CD (or DVD) is not a bad idea, it has some great advantages actually, if you don't do it... it doesn't matter how good it is.

2 - You have to decide how important your pictures are to you. Off-Site backup is the best. Physically moving a copy of the images protects against theft, disaster (fire/flood/...), accident ("Did I just erase my hard disk? Oh, no....") But off-site backups are usually more of a hassle. Do you care to take the backups to a safe deposit box?

Here is what I do:
I have 2 hard disks. I do all my editing and work on one drive and I have a batch file that backs up all the important directories (I file my images by year, then by month, then by day.)

This means that I can't take them off site, but I know that I have backed them up because I regularly run the script.

This isn't perfect, but it works. I should get a DVD backup utility and burn a large set of DVDs and take those to a safe deposit box, but I haven't done that yet. (see what I mean about not doing things....)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

My basic procedure is this:

At the end of every month I:
1. copy all my large (RAW) files to a separate server or SAN box.
2. burn those files to DVD.
3. convert all the files on my pc for that month to 800x600 "thumbnails" on my laptop

This means I can still see all my pictures on my laptop, but don't use up too much disk space. If I want to get a full-sized original I download it over the network.

For backup purposes I thus have a copy on a hard disk and a copy on DVD.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:42 AM   #4

I usually just write all my images to DVD every once in a while and take it to work. There I just leave it in a drawer. You could also just ask a friend to put a couple in his/her cupbourd at their homes.

Another thing to remember is that DVDs and CD sometimes get scrathces or "breaks" no matter how well you look after them. Your most important images should be backed up on multiple cd's/DVD's
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:21 AM   #5

I have had a very high failure rate while trying to burn DVD's, and now I am experiencing the DVD's I did burn successfully are getting increasingly difficult to read reliably.

So now I have all my photos archived onto 250GB hard disks (actually dual HD's). Advantages: greater capacity, faster and more reliable. Cons: more costly.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:02 PM   #6

Raid 5 + CD BackupĀ“s for "special frames"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ciao, Wolfie:-)
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:08 PM   #7

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here but I noticed everyone mentioned using DVD's. Are they better than using regular cd's? Also will a cd burner copy to both cd's and dvd's? Is it a just a software issure or hardware issue.

just trying to get a little more info out on the subject.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:22 AM   #8

A DVD writer will copy to both CD and DVD, but a CD writer can only copy to CD, as CDs and DVDs use different lasers.

DVDs have a capacity of 4.3GB, as opposed to the 700MB of CDs. If you have a 1GB memory card (which I dont), then you cant even backup one memory cards worth of shots on one CD.

I just payed the equivalent of less $86 for a LG DVD writer. In the states it should be a bit cheaper (I guess about $60). Definitely worth the price. If I buy in packs of 50, I pay about 50c US for a blank DVD.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:44 AM   #9

thanks, I'll check to see if my cd burner will do dvd's. Thats about the same $ for dvd's here also (.50).
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:03 AM   #10

My personnal approach of backupshave changed over the years. Now, I backup my data in general (not only pictures) with an external USB drive. Although a little bit costly , it provides me a dynamic backup that I can "update" quickly . A big advamtage is it relieve me from the task of burning and keeping track of backup dates, version , etc ... A simple directory comparing and synchronizing software (there are many excellent freeware) and you have the wholesituation in a second.

I don't know if I am right, but I have much more trust in a hardisk than a CD or DVD in term of reliability of data retrieving.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote