Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2005, 5:55 PM   #1

want to view jpegs on my LCD television, a 16 x 9 JVC LCD TV (26" diag.)

What are my chances of getting computer quality (jpeg) display on my JVC TV?

Note, TV has S, component, and digital-in (with special cable 19 pin, would need special cable) signal inputs.) It has 480 (i&p), 720i and 1080i capability. My camera shoots a 16 x 9 (1080 x 920) image.

DVD recorded jpeg any good for this TV?

Help most appreciated, seems this is not a popular subject!
routerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:00 PM   #2

Many DVD players will show individual files recorded as just JPG. For those that don't you have to use software to record as a VCD or regular motion DVD.

Just record some JPGs and see if they play.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

Of they play alright, as a CD-ROM, but they (jpegs) look like hell, nothing comapred to computer read CD on the computor monitor.

The RCA smack out of the hot camera (into the TV)look just as bad, and the SD chip read x a reader and S-cabled into the TV also look like hell. All 3 sources (RCA, SD reader, and direct wire from camera to computer are next to perfect.

What gives?

And thank you for your previous reply, PW

Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4

You don't say what country you are in. Some countries have higher TV resolutions than in the US (where I am.) But its safe to assume you are in the US, so I will do so. Since there are no high-def DVD players yet, I'll assume you aren't using one of those either.

Part of the reason is why NTSC based TV is being replaced with high-definition TV. It just doesn't look very good... it doesn't have a lot of data (not many dots.) Your computer monitor is much higher resolution.

You didn't say what size pictures you used nor how much compression was used. Those will effect the quality (of course.)

You did try s-video and composit, which is good. But I always forget which is better (composit or component... whoever named those should be smacked, they are too similar and are easy to get confused!) Still s-video isn't that bad, so if that doesn't look very good then I wouldn't blame the connection method and instead look at the DVD player. Have you tried viewing the disk on a computer, just to make sure the JPGs are ok?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5

Clearly, I'm not making myself clear.

The TV, a JVC LCD, does have hi res. up to 1080i and digital-in connectivity.

Yes, I'm viewing on and in the US.

And indeed, the CD image on the computor is immaculate.

Jpegs recorded in all sorts of quality levels to 5 megs. Also recorded in 16 x 9 (~4 meg pix). 640 on up , tiffs, all dirty on the TV (LCD) but all great when played on the computor. Image source can be SD chip (reader read), CD, or direct wire from camera. Displayed on TV via S-cable, RCA, or direct wire from camera, all dirty. Plan on recording in DVD next week. Might be that at 480 they would be cleaner on the TV?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:59 AM   #6
DBB

routerman wrote:
Quote:

Clearly, I'm not making myself clear.

The TV, a JVC LCD, does have hi res. up to 1080i and digital-in connectivity.

Yes, I'm viewing on and in the US.

And indeed, the CD image on the computor is immaculate.

Jpegs recorded in all sorts of quality levels to 5 megs. Also recorded in 16 x 9 (~4 meg pix). 640 on up , tiffs, all dirty on the TV (LCD) but all great when played on the computor. Image source can be SD chip (reader read), CD, or direct wire from camera. Displayed on TV via S-cable, RCA, or direct wire from camera, all dirty. Plan on recording in DVD next week. Might be that at 480 they would be cleaner on the TV?
Eye strain is the big problem of computer users. This can be signifigant and cause steady deterioration of vision.

So when you are WORKING on an image, this is not the place to save money - always use a GOOD monitor.

If, on the other hand you will not be working (staring intently into the screen) on these images, but merely want to view them, much as we view a television, than I see no problem.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote