Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2005, 8:28 AM   #1

As my first post on this forum I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I currently own an EOS30 and Nikon FM and i recently decided to get an advanced digital camera (fz20/a200) or a low end dslr (350d/ist ds). My two SLR camera's do not have spot metering so I have no idea what difference that makes. I am comparing the canon 350d and the pentax ist ds. They are about the same price here in hong kong but only the pentax has spot metering which is why i like it. On the other hand, I already have an eos SLR sytem and several lenses which sould go with the 350d. I guess what I am really asking is which would you go for were you in my positon?
pistolero983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2
DBB

pistolero983 wrote:
Quote:
As my first post on this forum I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I currently own an EOS30 and Nikon FM and i recently decided to get an advanced digital camera (fz20/a200) or a low end dslr (350d/ist ds). My two SLR camera's do not have spot metering so I have no idea what difference that makes. I am comparing the canon 350d and the pentax ist ds. They are about the same price here in hong kong but only the pentax has spot metering which is why i like it. On the other hand, I already have an eos SLR sytem and several lenses which sould go with the 350d. I guess what I am really asking is which would you go for were you in my positon?
Spot metering is simply that a defined area of the center of the lens does all the metering. It can come in handy for example, for shooting a White Egret in a dark background.

The 350 allows for "Center Weight" metering, which means that MOST metering is done from this same center point, but it also takes metering from the rest of the frame.

Spot metering is not critical, but can sure come in handy.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3

Pitolero983,

Spot Meter
Spot meteris a narrow angled meterthat helpsa skilled photographer todetermine a normal exposure of a simple or aone toned subject. By using a spot meter, the photographer selectsa one-toned surfaceto set correctexposure for the entire subject. Source: http://spotmetering.com/

Read more from this source there is a lot of details on this one.

Patrick.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote