Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1

Default How to charge my camera while traveling

I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4500. I will be in Europe for 3 weeks taking tons of photos - how do I keep my camera charged?

Do I purchase a bunch of 2CR5s, try to find the European version of the AC adapter or battery charger for my camera or what?

I would prefer not to take an external battery pack.

Also, do you really need the AC adapter - when do you use it? Or is it better to just purchase a card reader when transferring pictures and use the battery the rest of the time?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:01 PM   #2
kyb

Hi,
just take a look into the manual of your batterycharger. The powersupply in europe generally is 230V, 50Hz. I heard that the batterycharger of the U.S.-Model of the CP 4500 is identical to the european one (MH-53), which accepts 100-230V, 50-60Hz. It is also written on the back of the charger (look for the word "input"). So your only problem should be the plug of the powerchord. You can buy an adaptor for most european "plugsystems". Go to yor local dealer and ask for such an adaptor for the country you are going to visit.

Have fun in good cold europe 8)
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:47 PM   #3

I have the Maha charger. For my upcoming trip to Italy, I'm going to purchase the European adapter. Check it out at http://thomas-distributing.com/maha-adapters.htm
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:00 PM   #4

Will you be driving? my charger has a car adaptor i have used in Europe.
AC lines are great for viewing, editing, out-to-TV and studio or in-house shooting.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:18 PM   #5

Florida

If you adapter is 110/230 50/60 hz, you will need to buy an adaper as Maryy mentioned in his comments. You can usually pick them up in a kmart, walmart, or target
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:33 PM   #6

The CP4500 came with a MH-53 with a rated input of AC 100-240V (50/60 Hz). So this means I just need a European "converter plug"?

I have heard some friends talk about camera melt down after plugging their digitals into European sockets with just the "converter plug" - so I'm a bit scared

Also, I'm confused on the Maha charger - when I look up the US version of that charger, it charges AA and AAA batteries, but I have a EN-EL1 Li-ion Battery.
http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm

I used Steve's link on the review of the CP4500 and the compatibility chart shows MH-DPB140LI Lithium Ion Version

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...erbank.htm#buy

And another stupid question (please forgive this newbie)
How do these battery packs work? When you plug in the Powerbank into the camera, is it recharging the camera or the batteries?

Thank You again for all your responses!!!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:22 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
The CP4500 came with a MH-53 with a rated input of AC 100-240V (50/60 Hz). So this means I just need a European "converter plug"?
That's correct! your charger is autoswitching... you should get extra EN-EL1 or a generic. A Maha or AA charger won't work for you!

Quote:
When you plug in the Powerbank into the camera, is it recharging the camera or the batteries?
When you plug the Powerbank it by-pass the internal battery and power the camera directly from the external cells inside the Powerbank (and then you have to worry about recharging the Powerbank also!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:02 PM   #8

I think I will go with the standard European converter plug for the MH-53 and take a spare Li-ion battery to use while the other is recharging.

Thank You so much for your assistance!!!
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:32 AM   #9

Default Re: How to charge my camera while traveling

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 in USA recently.
Back home in Sweden (Europe) I exchanged the powercable to the charger. This cable is a standard powercable suitable to radios, Cd-players etc.
The charger itself can handle voltage both in US and Europe.

I have bought an adapter at Bestbuy for 10 dollars which fits EU connectors AND transform it to US voltage (Max.50W).
Not necessary to use this after the cable exchange :-)

Hope you know how to do now :-)
PeWe
PeWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:56 AM   #10

I used a NiMH AA charger that has universal input voltage from 90-264V. While waiting for flights at airports in the USA I found places near outlets I could sit and charge my batteries, as well as my laptop Heck, already paid my airport taxes in my ticket, might as well use the airport electricity I paid for! :lol: As for shooting out in the field, when I ran out of juice from my four sets of NiMH's I would use lithium non rechargeables as an excellent backup.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote