Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:36 PM   #1

Default SVCD Vs VCD

I've been using Ulead Picture show to create VCD slide shows. Recently I downloaded PictureToTv and their example SVCD images.

I wanted to see if SVCD gave better images than VCD - in theory they should.

I have to confess they don't seem any better to me so I'll keep the $50 in my pocket - shame that.

VCD and SVCD do not get the best from even a normal telly.

I'm looking forward to someone bringing out a program which creates picture shows and makes full use of the telly's resolution e.g. full DVD or broadcast quality.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:43 PM   #2

Most TVs aren't up for showing DVD quality...would be different if you had a plasma TV or flatscreen LCD. It's worse in the US where TVs are Never Twice the Same Colour or NTSC!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:49 PM   #3

Here in England TVs are roughly capable of 625 lines and DVD players (decent ones) about 550 lines.

When I watch TV here I can see a lot of detail on my 28" telly. Far more than my VCDs deliver. So there is a lot of room for improvement.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:26 PM   #4

The most important thing when replaying computer generated images on a TV is to use a SCART lead and connector from the player, selected for RGB. Many cheap SCART leads are actually only wired for composite signals (that's NTSC for you guys and PAL for us). S-video is no good either! It's still composite low bandwidth - but don't let on to the pc dvd people, cos they haven't realised yet!

In USA, you might still have less lines than us, but RGB will bypass the NeverTheSameColour and be eons better. Try this out with your dvdplayer if it has RGB out option.

OK with VCD/SVCD you won't see the same quality as a pc and hi-res monitor, but pictures should be sharper and cleaner. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 1:29 PM   #5

but don't let on to the pc dvd people, cos they haven't realised yet!

See above I don't understand what you are getting at!!
Old Jan 25, 2003, 1:09 AM   #6

We don't have SCART (Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils
Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs) in North America, so no point in worrying!

If you want to learn more about SCART, do a search on Google or check out this site, http://www.hippy.freeserve.co.uk/scart.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:48 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
In USA, you might still have less lines than us, but RGB will bypass the NeverTheSameColour and be eons better. Try this out with your dvdplayer if it has RGB out option.
In North America we have "Component Output", yPrPb, which is what most progressive scan DVDs or satellite set-tops put out and newer TVs and HD accept now for their highest quality outputs! Yes the component cable/connector, as well as Telly and DVD/VCRs are also much cheaper to manufacture than SCART since they don't have to carry all the extra signals that no one needed! (BTW we never had DIN in our consumer gears either) :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's time to move on folks. The RF connector is there mainly for compatibility sake (mainly mandated by law to support terrestrial broadcasts) but dated back to the 50s so one can expect it to have NeverTheSameColour! The same thing apply to audio if one uses the RCA jacks instead of the S/PIDIF!

Quote:
I'm looking forward to someone bringing out a program which creates picture shows and makes full use of the telly's resolution e.g. full DVD or broadcast quality.
You'll need commercial gears for this and not just a program or a DVD player/recorder. BTW, you'll also need a lot of storage! Fibre channels are also commonly used for broadcast or live shows taping... MPEG optimization is only performed for transport!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:49 AM   #8

NHL'.. ever wondered what the difference is between YPrPb and RGB + sync? Components is actually a form of compression of colour dynamic range. Checkout component colour gamut, as you won't faithfully reproduce those highly saturated pc colour graphics.

RGB is not compressed that's why you have it as your pc-monitor interface via SVGA. Still for domestic purposes components is better than everything else except RGB - (only 525 lines though at your end, but you have less flicker than us!).
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:55 PM   #9
NHL

I guess it's mainly for cost reason why RGB is not implemented in video signaling, unlike computers (or digital cameras) that is native RGB. Most video sources, including HDTV start with the more common luminance (Y) even from video cameras. The reason why YPrPb was invented was to save on bandwidth, since only the luminance carries the full resolution while the Pr and Pb need to carry much less, it is half the resolution both horizontal and vertical for DVD and U.S. HDTV.

RGB is theoretically better, but in practice there should be no difference in performance (What source material do you use other than PC?), most other sources are already 'MPEG'ed. RGB is also impractical for over the air broadcast since you almost need triple the bandwidth!

You can however remap the two color spaces:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon/...ces/yprpb.html

RGB also comes in numerous flavors with at least 3 different sync variations so it's not the most consumer friendly either. Look @ your PC's sRGB even its gamma is different from a MAC monitor! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and then we also have AdobeRGB in addition to sRGB which the D7hi can put out! ops:

Not the least of which the YprPb component output is also an industry standard:http://www.eia.org/
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:37 AM   #10
NHL

FYI Steve6

Just found this for $99: http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm
Quote:
Key Features:

* Enjoy DVD-Video, DivX™ video, and Superbit™ DVD movies using your current television and surround sound system.
* Also plays Super VideoCD (SVCD), VideoCD (VCD) and MPEG-4, MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 files.
* Provides advanced video features such as scaling up to HDTV resolution, progressive DVD playback and component YPbPr analog video outputs. SCART RGB video output is also available as an option.
* Provides advanced audio output features such as Dolby® Digital or DTS® surround sound (through S/PDIF) for high fidelity sound reproduction.
http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products...ndup072402.pdf