Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1
EDD

THIS FORUM SOFTWARE SUCKS. Really! I CAN'T EVEN DELETE MY OWN MESSAGE OR IT'S NOT USER FRIENDLY ENOUGH IF THERE IS A WAY.

I'VE WAISTED A GREAT DEAL OF TIME BY THIS FORUM SOFTWARE FAILING TO POST MY REPLIES/MESSAGES.

I don't know for sure if it's the software (most likely) for a slow server. I get occasional errors and sometimes loose a great deal of work 20, 30 44 mins or so I put into writing replies all lost in one push of the send button.

Anyone else having similar issues?

There are a lot of great (and free) forum software choices out there that support PHP and MySQL configurations that are clearly much better for users than the WOWbb software.
EDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:06 PM   #2

I have posted on a semi regular basis for most of the last year, and have never experienced any problems.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Well EDD, you seem to have managed to send that one ok. Must not be the software

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:32 PM   #4
Administrator

EDD wrote:
Quote:
THIS FORUM SOFTWARE SUCKS. Really! I CAN'T EVEN DELETE MY OWN MESSAGE OR IT'S NOT USER FRIENDLY ENOUGH IF THERE IS A WAY.

I'VE WAISTED A GREAT DEAL OF TIME BY THIS FORUM SOFTWARE FAILING TO POST MY REPLIES/MESSAGES.

I don't know for sure if it's the software (most likely) for a slow server. I get occasional errors and sometimes loose a great deal of work 20, 30 44 mins or so I put into writing replies all lost in one push of the send button.

There are a lot of great (and free) forum software choices out there that support PHP and MySQL configurations that are clearly much better for users than the WOWbb software.
What a thoughtful post.

I feel sure Steve and SG Mark (our System Administrator) will be glad to see feedback from forum members, so they'll know how there efforts are perceived.

After moving to WowBB, the hardware has been upgraded, updates have been performed to try and work out any remaining problems, and Mark (and the developer of the code) has worked hard on improving it.

That's especially true for the first few days this week, where he worked on the forums after performing some software updates on the servers. These were painful since the system was kept down to do it, so that they'd be better going forward.

It's nice of you to give such a detailed description of the errors you got, so that Mark track down any remaining issues and resolve them, along with your great recommendations on what software we should use and why (not).

I'm sorry that you "WAISTED A GREAT DEAL OF TIME"

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:34 PM   #5

I'm sure it is possibly a combination of factors that might be the cause of your problem.

Ioccasionally use a dial up connection to access the site and have suffered a similar problem. That and how busy the site may be or how busy your ISP is could be the reason.

I have now taken to highlighting all of my post, particularly if it is a long one, and copy it to the clipboard before I click send, just in case.

This has happened only a couple of times, but always when I've sat there typing for ages and then can't remember exactly what I've said :roll:.

Other than that, Iam very happywith how the forum is presented and brought to us 8).
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:54 PM   #6

EDD, bro' man!
Write your replies in a simple text editor like notepad, then copy & paste into the forum reply box. If problems occur, you still have your work and can repost.
BTW, I've never had any problems with this site.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:04 PM   #7

Well I've had no problems with this forum, actually it's one of the simplest forumsI have used and I've used samples of alldifferent types including Php, MySQL ect.

Alan :-)
AlanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:54 PM   #8
EDD

JimC wrote:
Quote:
EDD wrote:
Quote:

What a thoughtful post.

I feel sure Steve and SG Mark (our System Administrator) will be glad to see feedback from forum members, so they'll know how there efforts are perceived.

After moving to WowBB, the hardware has been upgraded, updates have been performed to try and work out any remaining problems, and Mark (and the developer of the code) has worked hard on improving it.

That's especially true for the first few days this week, where he worked on the forums after performing some software updates on the servers. These were painful since the system was kept down to do it, so that they'd be better going forward.

It's nice of you to give such a detailed description of the errors you got, so that Mark track down any remaining issues and resolve them, along with your great recommendations on what software we should use and why (not).

I'm sorry that you "WAISTED A GREAT DEAL OF TIME"

Jim C.

Yes I detect all the sarcasim in every paragraph you posted hereJIm. I'm surprised in this sort of a respons by you especially since you're the moderator here.

I guess you didn't notice a call for input from others as tohow may be experiancing this same issue.Why should I include error message at this time?

Maybe this is not problem at all if YOU have not experienced it. Based on your response I'm now sure it's just me... the only one on the planet to report an issue with this software. My deepest appoligies for pulling you out of the woodwork to induce this clever response.

I'm really sorry.

This software is totally bug free based on all the things in your response above. Yep, your right, those are all good reasons. Now I'm sure the choice of forum software and the perfection of ths code was the right choice for this site.

Thanks for such a great response and all the help Jim. I'm still going to copy this tothe clipboard just in case it's all wiped out again, for the fifth time today,by clicking send.

As the moderator you should bann me for asking if anyone else is experiencing this same problem. Beside I have no reason what so ever to be frustrated when loosing several posts.

To the others that gave a polite response. Thanks. Yes I've used those techniques all the time before hitting submit. I usually just copy to clipboard on flaky sites.

The problem may or may not have been out T1 line. I have no idea but understand the possibilities. It's a good idea to solicit feedback from others so that one can begin to rule out the possible causes. I'll keep monitoring but generally it's been this server timing out on my connection. I'm not the net admin here so I'm still looking forfeedback.

Sofare I'm not totally alone with this issue.

I still never got a response on how to delete your own message? Anyone?

Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:41 PM   #9
Administrator

Yes, if you don't want a sarcastic response, it's probably not a good idea to make posts shouting (in caps) "THIS FORUM SOFTWARE SUCKS."

As for your missing posts, I am guilty of removing one thread (with no responses yet). Interestingly, it was also titled "THIS FORUM SOFTWARE SUCKS".

But, I did leave the other post you had that started :THIS FORUM SOFTWARE SUCKS." alone (since it wasn't in a thread by itself, even though most forums discourage fhe practice of cross posting the same thing in multiple threads). Yes, I'm being sarccastic again. Since I'm a moderator, I'll slap myself on the wrist.

As for not being able to delete your own threads, many other forums have the same restrictions. You can edit them. If you have a problem with a double post or something, let a moderator know about it and we can remove it.

That does happen from time to time (double posts) when members press the post key again without waiting long enough.

We have had some SQL problems that we've been working through with the forums. But, I haven't noticed any errors since Tuesday evening after Mark got the forums back online again.

If you see any errors, let us know about it (and specifics would be appreciated).

Mark has a thread started here that you can post any problems to:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:54 PM   #10
EDD

Yes I was frustrated when I posted because I was on the receiving end of this crap. I should not have to explain how bloody annoying that is and sure it showed in the post.I make no appogogies for that. It's clearly how I felt.

You should have noticed also that it was not directed to any one person.

Yes I'm aware of double posting restrictions (very common)and your aware that I can not delete my own post. To me that is lame notto have have that feature in forum software and if it's turned off it should be enabled IMHO.

This makes all of this even more frustrating. This is the first forum I've been on (and this is one out of many) where the user can't delete his/her own message. It should be there like all the other forums on the planet, but hey, what do I know. I'm sure also that the vast majority allow the visitors to delete their own message/s.

Thousands of forums allow this and you don't. Fine! Don't be critical of double posts then. You can't have it both ways. All of this is just my opinion and I hope I'm still entitled to that.

Thanks for pointing out the link. I was not aware of it so if and when it happens again I'll note the errors and/or messages and post to this link next time.

Thanksfor understanding.