Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:08 AM   #1

So I gave up my beloved Canon S400, which didn't produce any red eye, to get an SD300, which has the bigger LCD, better movie quality, and...all that red eye. I though IPhoto would fix it, but it doesn't do anything except occasionally throw in a little green splotch, never enough to eliminate what seems like obvious, glaring, evil RED. Can anything be done on a Mac Mini?¬* Must I part with this camera or resign myself to not taking indoor photographs? Are you all thinking, "Well, we told you so!"? Then why is the SD300 so highly rated if red eye is pervasive and intractable? Can I use a different software on the Mac--and would that be in conjunction with IPhoto, or instead?¬* ¬*Thanks, folks ¬* ¬*Jill
yidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2

You might have to get your hands dirty and do manual red-eye removal.
There are various methods depending on the editor you're using.
One of the easiest manual methods is just desaturating the objectionable color with the appropriate tool.
Paint Shop Pro has really good red-eye correction capabilities, as does Photoshop Elements, but I'm sure that you can find a program that will let you address the problem for a lot less money than they cost. But, you may have to do it manually for good results.
Another good fix is to avoid the problem in the first place and get an external flash with bounce capabilities or just make a diffuser for it. A flash bracket that holds the flash up high and off to the side will lessen or eliminate the problem also.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice.¬* I have a Mac Mini¬* (OSX 10.38) and not much $$$...not really any--I'm hoping for a quick and cheap fix--seems like there must be a lot of Mac-owning folks with SD300s and the same problem, so I wonder if any one has come up with a solution?¬* ¬* ¬*Jill
yidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:15 PM   #4

Here's a couple of free "strategies" (fix would be presumptuous):
If the party(ies) being photographed know that they are being shot, have them look a bit to one side of the camera before taking the shot. Less retinal reflection this way.
Secondly, try putting a white handkerchief or something similar over the flash before you shoot. This diffuses the light and will cut down on red-eye -- at the expense of effective flash range. Try a variety of materials and attachment strategies for your camera to find something that works and take test photos to determine your new flash range.
Irfanview and GIMP are free -- and good -- image editors, but I don't know whether either work with Macs. Do a short Google safari and you might get lucky with one of them!
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote