Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:27 PM   #21

If you check recent user postings on the usenet newsgroup rec.photo.digital, you'll find people having problems with C-5050, too.

All that goes to show is that there's no one magic camera that will make everyone happy. Some people will love the menu system on C-4000, some will hate it. It just depends on the personal taste.

For what it's worth, I've had the C-4000 for just over a week. I've taken over 500 shots with it (gotta give it a good test run before the return period runs out!) and have been very happy with the camera. It is chock full of features--you can use it as point-and-shoot camera when you start out with it, and then progressively try manual and other programmed settings to see what will work for you.

Sure C-5050 is a nicer camera, but it also costs almost twice as much as the C-4000.

The ideal thing you could do is buy the C-4000 from some place local that will let you return it if you don't like it. Even if you can save $40-50 via mail order, is your peace of mind worth the extra money?

If you want to see some pictures I've taken with the C-4000, check out the following (keep in mind I'm just an amateur at this photography thing ):

http://www.pbase.com/hyunyu/c4000

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:01 PM   #22

Yeah, you are surely right !

nice pics... one question though... why didn't u use the flash when u took those night shots ?

also : is there a difference between c-4000 and c-4000z ?
Olivier21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:45 PM   #23

C-4000 and C-4000Z are one and the same (Z just means "zoom", meaning it's capable of optical zooming).

The point of night scene (at least for me with those pictures) was to try to capture what my eyes were seeing. If I had used the flash, then

1) the flash doesn't have the power to illuminate those buildings at the range I was shooting at--it'd been like using no flash; and

2) the shutter would have set itself for 1/30 second, which would have given me pretty much a very, very dark picture.

By using night mode, the shutter stays open for longer (4-16 seconds), and is able to capture details that would not have been recorded with faster shutter speeds. And noise reduction mode of the C-4000Z would eliminate most of the digital "noise" created by such a long shutter time.

Any other questions, ask away!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:39 PM   #24

Ok last question...

why did u choose c-4000 instead of c-4040 ?
what is the major difference between those two ?
thanks again
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:52 PM   #25

The advantages of the C-4040Z:

- the C-4040Z has a faster lens, an f1.8 lens, as opposed to the C-4000Z's f2.8 lens. Faster lens is capable of letting in more light, so you'd achieve better results in situations like indoors shots without using flash.

- the C-4040Z also comes with a remote, which is handy for tripod shots. You can get most of the same functionality with the 12-second timer in C-4000Z, but the remote gives you more flexibility.

- the C-4040Z's body seems to be made of metal (I'm not sure on this).

- the C-4040Z has a display on top of the camera that shows the current settings, so that you can leave the LCD monitor off.

OK, the advantages of the C-4000Z:

- it has super macro function with minimum range of 2cm (less than 1 inch); the C-4040Z's minimum range is 7.8"

- it has four programmable "My Modes," meaning you can save your custom settings and have fast access to them later

- it is cheaper (around $400 vs. $600 for the C-4040Z)

- it displays histogram (a graph showing how your image is exposed) before the shot is taken so that you can correct lighting and exposure settings

I chose the C-4000Z because it fit in my budget--I figured it gave me most of the features (and then some) in the C-4040Z for about 2/3 the price. The faster lens in C-4040Z is the only thing I would have liked better, but it wasn't enough to make me get it.

Hope these help!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:58 PM   #26

yeah it helps a lot

I think you made an error in your last paragraph
you said that you buyed the 4040 hehehe
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier21
yeah it helps a lot

I think you made an error in your last paragraph
you said that you buyed the 4040 hehehe
Oops you are right! I meant C-4000Z. It's been corrected!
Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:55 PM   #28
joy

hello... I just bought my very own C-4000Z not too long ago. I think it has been a week.

Anyways, I just want to know what you are looking for in a camera. I mean, are you wanting it to be small and portable, or are you looking for lots of picture-taking options.

The C-4000 has lots of options, but it is a bit bigger than the average digicam.

Anyways, the menus are easy to use, and there are even two shortcut buttons that you can set to whatever option you choose.

The manual mode is easy to use and whenever you're too lazy to do that, then you can use the regular program mode which takes great pictures too.

The manual focus is kinda cumbersome, but it works great. When taking super macro pictures, you should use manual focus by the way. I've tried letting the camera focus itself in super macro, but it doesn't work. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

Hm.. what else is there... :? ... It has five quality settings including TIFF which is lossless, which is the same as being uncompressed, I think.

Not only is taking pictures easy, viewing them is easy too. You can choose 1,4,9,or 16 pictures to view at one time.

By the way, the picture editing program for your computer, called Camedia, kind of sucks. It makes it hard to send pictures via email. However, you could do it easily if you bought the upgraded version on the olympus website.

What I also liked is that during the picture taking modes, you can press a button twice quickly and it would automatically take you to playback mode without having to turn that wheel thing.

About movies, it records movies, but not any sound. Think silent movies.

Some things I didn't like...
- The batteries included are the type that cannot be recharged, so when you make your purchase you should also get rechargeable batteries and a charger. The charger isn't included either. (by the way, the camera uses 4 NiMH batteries.)

-The memory card included is a measly 16 mb which can hold a lot of low quality pics but only 1 TIFF format picture. :?

-The manual isn't very thorough, but don't worry. You can always ask your questions on the Olympus forum. I'm sure someone would be happy to help you.

By the way, yes, I too saw all the pictures taken by other C-4000 cameras. I researched this camera for nearly 2 months before I bought it. You're first pictures will look nothing like them. You'll be learning a lot of things just by taking pictures of everything.

Don't be lured by the big numbers of optical zooms on some cameras. If you zoom too far, it gets extremely hard to take a still picture because you're hands won't be perfectly still. Unless, of course, you use a tripod.

Also, be sure to try it out for a while before you buy it. Even if you read all the stuff there is about the c-4000 on the internet, you'll still benefit from using it before you buy it.
joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:20 AM   #29

Quote:
-The manual isn't very thorough, but don't worry. You can always ask your questions on the Olympus forum.
:?: Joy, I'm not sure if you're referring to the rather brief booklet that came with the camera, or the full reference manual which is in Adobe format on the CD that comes in the camera...it has 250 some pages and seems to cover most things pretty well.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:49 PM   #30

Default C-4000

Where can we get a printed version of the manual.
My camera is new and the operator needs to refer to it frequently.

Thanks.
Ken
Kentarv is offline   Reply With Quote