Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:45 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2

I'm unclear on what you're problem is.
If you have an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper, and you try to print a 4x6 in landscape (the 6" side along the 11" side of the paper) you will get a lot of blank space around the picture. 2 1/2" on each side. Do you mean you're getting *more* than that (i.e. your picture isn't actually 6" wide?)

I normally print at between 190 DPI and upwards of 300 DPI. Depends on the picture and the results I'm looking for (if it has lots of fine detail and how large I'm going to print it.)

When you resize the image you can do it one of two ways. You can tell the printer to put more (or fewer) dots per inch. That will effectively make the image larger or smaller. Or you can actually reduce or enlarge the image (either merging some number of pixels into a fewer number of image or creating new pixels from others.) It sounds like you are doing it the first way and not the second. When I find the DPI is not to my liking I do it the other was because I won't want too few dpi.

Cropping is done with the crop tool in photo shop.
resizing is done via the image size menu item (that lets you manipulate DPI as well.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3

If you are putting the paper in the printer as Horizontal You are feeding the printer wrong. On My Epson printers the paper feeds vertical and you select horizontal in the driver. Read you printer instructions on feeding in the paper. I hope this helps.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4

Also remember that with most programs two settings must be made:
1. Page (or document) setting
2. Printer properties setting

For example, if you merely press "print" and make the settings there without first setting the page (document), things won't come out right.
In Paintshop Pro and Photoshop, the setting is called "Page setup" (under the File menu); you have to set the document for size and layout (landscape or portrait). Then, you press "Print" (or better, print with preview) and select "Printer properties" and once again set the paper and layout settings to agree with your "page setup" settings.
As suggested above, I highly recommend you choose "print with preview" or merely "preview print" if possible before you do the dirty deed. That will give you a final idea of what the printer thinks it's supposed to do with the data you're giving it.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:41 PM   #5

With Photoshop select the crop tool. In the boxes along the top put 6 inches in the width and 4 inches in the height. Put nothing in the resolution box and it will save all of the pixels you don't crop out. If you aren't getting inches, right click on the box and change it to inches.

Your crop will be restricted to the right proportions and if you check Image>Image Size you will see what resolution you ended up with. It is hard to see any improvement over 190 PPI without a loupe.

Old versions of Photoshop had the height and width in the Info tab, but everything since about version 6 has had it in the boxes along the top.

If you are still getting a space on your prints you are probably feeding the paper wrong.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:09 AM   #6

Hi everyone,

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote