Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

My sympathies to our American cousins in the Southern States.

Thinking of you all at this dreadful time and truly sorry for your losses.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:56 PM   #2

my brother is down there
he is a couple hundred miles north at the moment but he called
said he lost everything except a box of pictuers of the family
and his arrowheads
he said the house he was living in is under 27' of water and he lived
near the state line
TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:14 PM   #3

~We should all pray for the victims and the long road of rebuilding that's ahead. Also remember the rescue workers as they assist the victims and try to get things back in shape. Prayer changes things.~

8)
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:29 PM   #4
Administrator

I've been glancing at the news from time to time, and it's pretty bad guys.

It's even much worse today than it was when the Hurricane came through in some areas (some of the levee systembroke which is causing water levels to rise). They'retrying to evacuate the former emergency shelters in some areas now because of it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/3...ina/index.html

The death and destruction from this storm is going to surpass what has ever been seen before in many of the areas hit by this storm.

Let's keep those effectedin our thoughts.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5

They are not our cousins. Just another foreign country that happens to speak a similar language too us.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Administrator

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
They are not our cousins. Just another foreign country that happens to speak a similar language too us.
Well, perhaps the United States is just another foreign country to you. However, this site is located in the U.S.

Even though this thread is off topic, this Hurricane represents a major disaster, and I'd like to think that the families of thoseimpacted appeciate the sympathy and concern of others.

So,let's not allow it to be political (or debate whether or not those that have families here originating in England are your cousins).

Thanks.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:09 AM   #7

geriatric wrote:
Quote:

Geriatric, What a comment to make. As an ex pat Scouser I am dismayed by your apparent lack of compassion for your fellow beings. The poor folk inNew Orleans and district need all the help and prayers that we can give.:sad:
bilmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:45 AM   #8

Of course they have my sympathy. I just made a true ststement, they are foreignersThey salute a different flag too us. About 90% of their surnames are foreign too us. We are not living in the 1700`s you know.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:24 AM   #9

We as people (in most parts of the world)have advanced so far with technology. We can cure most illnesses. We are on top of the food chain, and need not fear wild animals as they are kept away from people. We can genitically engineer food. We have commercial farming that ensures we will never go hungry.

It is easy to think we can now fend for ourselves and dont need God to take care of us. And now we see that even a nation as technologically advanced as the US, with a great infrastructure and the best technology for early warning systems, is no match for the power of nature.

We as humans are powerless and live only by God's grace.

And to comment on Geriatrics comments:

What he said is what we (I) use to distance ourselves. We say "At least its not my people". We dont like hearing of people suffering, and distancing ourselves from it lessens the pain we feel for other people. Most of us just generally keep it to ourselves.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:05 AM   #10
DBB

Carrots wrote:
"We as people (in most parts of the world) have advanced so far with technology. We can cure most illnesses. We are on top of the food chain, and need not fear wild animals as they are kept away from people. We can genitically engineer food. We have commercial farming that ensures we will never go hungry.

It is easy to think we can now fend for ourselves and dont need God to take care of us. And now we see that even a nation as technologically advanced as the US, with a great infrastructure and the best technology for early warning systems, is no match for the power of nature."

The "degree" of damage in New Orleans has been a long term environmental disaster building up for almost a hundred years. I'm not referring to global warming - In New Orleans to combat spring flood the ARMy Corp of Engeneers built the levy system to manage these spring floods.

This system stopped the driffting of silt from the Mississipi River from going out to sea - as a result, the barrier islands that protected the area from Storm Surge, has disappeared and the level of ground has actually shrank three feet over this same time period.

This problem has only been recently recognised and its cause identified.

Nothing could have prevented a strom of this nature from wrecking havoc, but the degree of that havoc has been magnified by our soultions.

I wold also like to echo the sentiments about a "foreign"flag," ect. I heard none of this over the tsunami disaster and see no reason why ANYONE should point out that they couldn't care less, or care only in an abstract manner. We are ALL cousins under the skin.

Dave

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote