Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:33 AM   #1

When buying a lens, is the stabalization feature a product of the lens, can you buy a lens that does not have stabalization, or do cameras with interchangeable lens NOT have stabalization?

And how about autofocus, is that in the lens

I was thinking about a digital rebel but maybe I ought to stick with someting like an S2
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2

rhendrix9 wrote:
Quote:
When buying a lens, is the stabalization feature a product of the lens, can you buy a lens that does not have stabalization, or do cameras with interchangeable lens NOT have stabalization?

And how about autofocus, is that in the lens
Depends on the manufacturer; some put IS in the lens, some in the body.
Autofocus should probably be called a characteristic of the lens-body combination, (takes two to tango). Some digital cameras will take both digital lenses that feature autofocus, and also non-autofocus lenses from earlier film cameras. Check with your manufacturer of choice.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Administrator

For DSLR models, the stabilization is in the lens (for the lenses available with it) from manufacturers that offer them, with the exception of Konica-Minolta.

Canon calls their stabilization IS (Image Stabilization), Nikon calls theirs VR (Vibration Reduction), and Sigma calls theirs OS (Optical Stabilization).

Konica-Minolta calls their unique (in the camera body) stabilization AS (Anti-Shake), which moves the CCD to combat camera shake, versus moving lens elements like the other manufacturers.

So, with a Konica-Minolta DSLR model, all of your lenses are stabilized, versus paying extra to get this feature in each lens (for lenses that have this feature).

In non-DSLR digital camera models, Panasonic also offers some cameras that have stabilization in the lenses (as do Canon and Nikon). Olympus used to offer it (for example, their C-2100UZ). However, I seem to remember hearing that Canon may have been the lens supplier for it (I don't know for sure).

Konica-Minolta's non-DSLR models with stabilization work like their DSLR models (it's Antishake feature is in the body).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Administrator

rhendrix9 wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking about a digital rebel but maybe I ought to stick with someting like an S2
Make sure you take all of your needs into consideration. Stabilization is a great feature, but it won't stop blur from subject movement (or even blur from camera shake if light gets too low). You'll need faster shutter speeds for that (and you have limited ISO speed sensitivity available in a small sensored non-DSLR model).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:47 PM   #5

Auto focus is in the lens in modern cameras. More light is always important. Image stabilization or any other piece of equipment won't do it.

Image stabilization isn't a free ride. It costs $$ and weight in lenses. Minolta hopes to make this less of a factor, but the jury is still out whether their efforts will bear fruit.

Good lens quality, practice and a good tripod/monopod are what will help you yield great pictures.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

Wildman wrote:
Quote:
good tripod/monopod are what will help you yield great pictures.
I used to think so but after using the Nikkor VR 80-400 for a month I changed my mind. At least for bird photography, no monopod or tripod can replace this marvelous Nikkor VR.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote