Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1

I am seriously thinking about moving from the point and shoot world to the SLR world. I will probably buy a Nikon D70. What are the best books that I should consider reading so that I will be able to take quality pictures?

Thanks
scubadvr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:38 PM   #2

Almost everything is the same between digital and film SLRs.

So this leans to two different directions you can take. If you plan on taking specific types of pictures (wildlife, scenic, buildings, people, street...) look for a good book about that. National Geographic has a variet of photography books (including portrait work... definitely not just wildlife.) John Shaw has some very good books on all different kinds of wildlife work. Both general and specific (macro, birds, animals,...) All I have read by him was good, and I've had other recommended. Galen Rowen has not only taken some great photos in his day (he died recently) but he also wrote some very good books. They are very nature oriented, though.

Or get a general photography book. The National Geo books above work. But there are many others as well. Check out your local library (you don't say where you are located) and see what they have.

The really big difference between DSLRs and SLRs is... lets see.
Digital Sensors produce less noise at the same ISO than film cameras.
Most film SLRs have a larger Depth Of Field than a DSLR.

Beyond that, I'm struggling to find a photographic difference. Sure, there are other differences but they are more equipment related than photography related.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3

I've been reading, "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers
By Scott Kelby." Which is excellent. It's more of an introductory book, but well worth it.

Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4

I love that book too, but it is a photoshop book.
What scubadvr2001 is asking for is a camera about photography, not an editing picture.

Eric
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:31 PM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I love that book too, but it is a photoshop book.
What scubadvr2001 is asking for is a camera about photography, not an editing picture.

Eric
True, but most shots will need to be worked on with an editor. Especially if shooting raw.
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:56 PM   #6

Oh, I don't argue that people shouldn't have that book. Personally, I like it a lot. And I recommend it regularly.

But it won't teach you how to use a DSLR or how to take "quality pictures". I believe that is what was requested.

Eric