Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2003, 5:41 PM   #1

Default imac for digital photos etc?

:?:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any pros/cons/experience on imac as a computer for digital photos?

Any advice?

(I keep hedging between imac and dell)

Thanks!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:02 PM   #2

I do digital on my Mac, everything actually works.All the software you need for digital is included.Buy one with a superdrive and you can do video and burn your own DVDs.
I do both still and video.The DVD burner is good for backups to.
If I can do it anybody can.

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:13 PM   #3

http://www.apple.com/ilife/
I would hold off for another week or so as rumors imply speed bumps for iMacs and other stuff on the way.

http://www.smalldog.com/

This is FYI.Just a couple.
Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:05 PM   #4

Default Thank-you

Ray,

Thank-you for your reply! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:59 PM   #5

I've heard nothing but bad things about dells used for anything other than business. If you must get a pc, i suggest ibuypower.com, great pc's at affordable prices. For digital pics though, I'd definitely get the emac, not the imac, since the emac seems to me to be a better deal. Also, every one I know who uses macs loves them, even my diehard pc fan who tried to talk me out of getting a mac (though i eventually made the decision due to the fact that the gpu can't be upgraded) now raves about them after using emacs for graphics and such at my schools graphics art place.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:06 AM   #6

I have been debating the mac or pc route for my next system and when pricing out an iMac with the 17" screen ($3200 Canadian) I could build a PC with an excellent 21" monitor for $700 less...it would completely upgradable and just as quick, if not faster than the iMac.

All I'm doing is viewing large pics (2560x1700) and want the ability to view 80 to 90% of the picture without resizing it or scrolling like mad on a low resolution. Either way I need to save up for a few months before I get my new system.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:39 AM   #7

As someone who's been in this debate for as long as the Mac's been in existance, I have to say that your decision to switch depends on what you want to do. These days with the internet compatibility isn't really an issue anymore as most software has versions on both machines and can write the other's format (JPG, MOV, PDF, MPEG, etc.). Both machines can handle all tasks now (there's no task that one can do that the other can't with the right software). As well, a lot of hardware (printers, scanners, monitors) can be used on either platform.

The question is how much you have to invest AFTER you buy the particular machine. I know I have a lot of money invested in my PC, including an expensive video capture card and software, not to mention all the other programs I bought for the PC...I would have to replace all that if I totally dropped PC and go over to Mac, whereas if I just upgraded to a newer PC, I wouldn't have to replace any of that software!

OK, the Mac has VirtualPC available, but that may not run all your programs, and of course the hardware like my capture card still wouldn't work. It would be different if you were a business (or really serious user), and got the Mac for the things it excells in, and kept the older PC for the other stuff.

I do all my serious photo editing, video editing, music, etc. on a PC with no problems. To me a Mac would be a waste of money because I wouldn't be getting anything more, I'd just be spending money duplicating what I already do on the PC.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
I've heard nothing but bad things about dells used for anything other than business. ...
Can't imagine why Dells would be different than other PCs.

Darby, since you asked the Mac vs. PC question, and don't seem to be a troll, I'd suggest going with the system that you can get help with. No matter which one you get, you will have questions. Think about who you can ask - do they have a PC or a Mac?

You can get questions answered on the internet for either system, but is can be very usefull to have personal contact - That's what they mean by the "Any Key"
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:34 PM   #9

Default Thanks all :)

Hi again,

ardvark
Why do you prefer the eMac over the iMac? Just curious. Also, do you like the CRT better than the LCD?

koruvs
I looked into building my own PC but since I haven't had any experience doing so--I am very hesitant.

Mike_PEAT
I agree, if I had a ton of up-to-date software etc on my PC I'd go with a new PC. Unfortunately, my 486 isn't state of the art and I won't be missing much.

BillDrew
No, I'm not a troll. (Why would you think I am??)

Strangely enough, I must live in the Twilight Zone, because very few of my friends/family own computers. They are behind the times.

:?: "Any key"? I wasn't sure what that meant.

Thank-you for the replies. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:12 PM   #10

Hi Darby,

You don't nessesarily need to physically build your own system however, you can have someone build one for you.

For example, go to a local computer shop that can build a system that suits your needs. Pick your video card, mainboard, hard drive, burner, etc. A custom built PC will out last, out perform and be a tad cheaper than a Dell, Gateway, IBM, etc. On top of that you can just call or drive over to the shop if you have a question or have an issue with the hardware. I prefer talking to a real human to make sure things are done right.

Anyway, just an opinion that I thought I'd mention.

PS: If you are in BC, Canada I can recommend a few shops who can provide excellent work and service.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote