Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:30 PM   #1

I own the FZ5 and while taking pictures at the beach I've been noticing very tiny dust particles forming around the lens, even seeing evidence of tiny smear lines on the outside lens (when placed in bright light). I got to admit that I used a very soft lens cloth meant for my eyeglass. I read that you don't want to touch the lens if you don't absolutely have to. The pictures still come out ok.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:57 PM   #2

John Boy wrote:
Quote:
I own the FZ5 and while taking pictures at the beach I've been noticing very tiny dust particles forming around the lens, even seeing evidence of tiny smear lines on the outside lens (when placed in bright light). I got to admit that I used a very soft lens cloth meant for my eyeglass. I read that you don't want to touch the lens if you don't absolutely have to. The pictures still come out ok.
You're right about not touching the lens when not necessary. I don't use a UV filter as SOP anymore, but if I knew I was going to a heavy dust/sand/corrosive atmosphere, I'd put it on for that period of time, at least.

When cleaning the lens, the general order of battle I follow is:
1. blower bulb or compressed air
2. camel's hair blower brush or sable artist's brush used gently.
3. photo lens tissue
4. photo lens tissue with lens cleaning fluid
5. send it in for service.

Never use tissue paper when there are obvious particles on the lens, since you'll probably just scrape the particles around, scratching the coating and/or glass.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote