Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1

Folks:

In the past, LCD displays (aka flat panels) have beenpanned for lacking brilliance, contrast, viewing angleand color depth. However, that was some time ago. What I'd like to find out is if currently available flat panel displays (FPDs)have both dropped enough inprice and gained enough capability to replace CRTs. Don't know how much of a debate it is anymore except to say that it was very much against FPDs. I'm hoping they've evolved enough to be useable.

Having said that, IF they are on par with CRTs I would like to know what kind of general spec is acceptable. Thequalities I think I should belooking at are response time, native resolution (for a 19" FPD), contrast ratioand rated brightness (generally called out in cd/m2). If these are adequate, what should the numbers look like? Also want to know what other qualities/specs I should look out for.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the ViewSonic VG910b. This is not for professional use but for advanced amatuer use.

Interested in hearing what to look for.

Thanks!

mustang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:07 AM   #2

The higher end LCDs are good enough for photo editing. But it's a question of your standards. If your standards are very high, then you'll either have to spend lots of money or get an CRT.

I would suggest reading this review. Not only does it have reviews of some good LCDs, it also tells you about the specs and what they mean (and what is good.)

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...706/index.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:04 PM   #3

Mustang77,

A few points to ponder:

- A 17 inch is better than a 19 inch as the 19 inch is interpolated. The 17 inch you are viewing the image native.

- A good contrast ratio is 700:1 like what my Samsung 173P delivers.

- A good brightness is minimum 300 cd/m2

- Use DVI digital output from your PC to your LCD. If you don't have a DVI output on your PC, you can get a PCI card with DVI out very cheaply. DVI out is a feature on better graphics PCI cards.

- Get a good quality graphics PCI card. Expect to spend at least $50 (with DVI output).

- Personally I think laptop TFT screens can do a nice job on photos.

- Response time won't be an issue if your viewing photos.

- LCD uses less electricity and generates less heat than a CRT.

- A high quality CRT probably renders colors more accurately, however the tradeoff is space, heat and more electricity usage as well as eye fatigue.

- I paid $320 for my Samsung 173Pa few months ago. I think they are cheaper now. I bought a $50 graphics card to get the DVI out and I'm pretty satisified with my result.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:48 AM   #4

Terry & Eric:

Thanks for the inputs. The current CRT we have is a 19" Dell and I think we'll duke it out a little while longer. Overall, there's nothing wrong with it but the size and heat dissapation.

Surprising that a 19" FPD is interpolated. I hadn't considered that it was. A 17" monitor seems too small to be as useful for other applications besides photography (my wife works from home with it as well). We do have a videocard that has a DVI port and the ViewSonic FPD also has DVI input as well. Sooooo, we seem to be positioned well to make the leap when the time comes (provided everything we have now isn't a paperweight by then ..... a distinct possibility).

What we're looking for is an FPD that is not significantly more expensive (like say less than 25% more than CRTs) than an equivalently functional CRT. Our current 19" monitor is a Dell M992 and it does OK. However, as we gain better skills, I'm fairly certain we'll want better. Seems like any FPDs that can meet or beata CRTfor digital photography are still pretty expensive.

I do think the time will come when FPDs can handle the photography stuff as well as a CRT. There are a lot of advantages such as digital to digital processing and output (as opposed to digital to analog), heat dissapation, form factor, etc. Sounds like sometime next year should see some high quality cost effecient alternatives to CRTs. Looking farther down the line (2-3 years) carbon nanotube monitors may render both completely obsolete (if the prototypes Motorola has demo'ed can really happen). Maybe that's what we should keep an eye on.

Thanks again!

Karl

mustang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:54 AM   #5

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Mustang77,

A few points to ponder:

- A 17 inch is better than a 19 inch as the 19 inch is interpolated. The 17 inch you are viewing the image native.
Where on earth did you get this from. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Every LCD has a native resolution and unless that resolution is non standard (ie: not a standard computer resolution such as 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc), then I can see no reason why it would be interpolated.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:39 AM   #6

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Where on earth did you get this from. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Every LCD has a native resolution and unless that resolution is non standard (ie: not a standard computer resolution such as 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc), then I can see no reason why it would be interpolated.

Declan
He'sexactly right. Any LCD is interpolated when using it at anything except it's native resolution. The ViewSonic VG910b's native resolution is 1280x1024, which is a standard. Thus, if you use this resolution, the image will not be interpolated.

I don't have any facts on the quality issue, but I do know my own experiences: My 15" laptop LCD screen (1400x1050) is very crisp and photos look great on it, although a hair different than they really are. It seems shadows are the most affected. It's not a bad change, but is change nonetheless. My 17" Samsung 17GLsi seems to give photos a yellow cast but renders shadows more accurately. YMMV.
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote