Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:37 AM   #1

Default extreme weather.

A while back this topic surfaced but cant find it. Here is an update to it though for all: yesterdy i went to the lakefront for some shots of the sunset, thats lake Ontario in Toronto Canada, at a temperature of about -30+- with the windchill. The LCD of my olympus 5050 went really dark, and slow, and it did not get back to normal until a while later, within my jacket. If it was not for the viewfinder, i would not be able to take any photos at all.
Are the EVFs (like in the nikon 5700) prone to this as well?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:05 PM   #2

Any LCD display is like that, even your watch. Has to do with the liquid component of Liquid Crystal Display.

Of course, you shouldn't be using the camera in those temperatures anyway; in the manual it specifies "Operating temperature: 0C to 55C (32F to 131F); Storing temperature: –20C to 65C (–4F to 149F); Humidity: up to 95 %". It's well below the operating temperture for the camera, and the temperatures in Toronto are pretty close to the limits of the storage temperature.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:48 PM   #3

correct in all counts mike...That was my point too: i wrote this in relation to the extreme weather limitations of digicams.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:37 PM   #4

while on this...Does anyone lnow if the CCD also gets affected by the cold like the LCD? if so, what does that do to the DSLRS for assignment jobs like national geographic etc.?
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:41 PM   #5

It was probably your eyes that frroze.It was all going dark before you passed out at -30.MY MOMMY WOULDNT HAVE LET ME GO OUTR IN THOSE TEMPS 8) 8)
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 4:23 PM   #6

The effects on the CCD would (from what I'm told) actually be to your benefit. It would produce images with less noise. Heating CCDs is bad for the quality of the pictures they take and cooling them is good. NHL, in other posts, has talked about how he doesn't use the LCD on the back of the camera because it does/could heat the CCD which is just behind the back of the LCD. While true in theory (if it heated it, it would be bad), I don't know if the LCD would actually heat it. (He has other reasons for not doing it, specifically battery life.)

This is why the CCD capture devices used in astronomy (I'm talking the really big telescopes used in national labs and universities) cool their CCDs with elaborate liquid cooling systems.

For example, the comments in this link:
http://www.aps.org/BAPSMAR98/abs/S3620003.html

But this google search works well too:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+CCD+astronomy

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:43 AM   #7

I left my E-10 in the fridge (-4C / ~24F) for almost an hour, and then put batteries back on and took a few shots on a tripod. Compared those shots with the ones I took on the tripod before sticking my E-10 in the fridge, and the result was astonishing!!! Nearly NO difference! :lol: I only did that because my E-10 was going to Olympus Service the next day anyway, and it was still under warranty :P Do not try this at home, if your camera dies in an attempt to replicate my experiment, it's YOUR fault, not mine!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:51 AM   #8

Its the batery that will pack in first due to low temperatures so I'd suggest that you put the whole set-up in the fridge to realy test it out....

I keep my CP4500 in my inside pocket between shots during winter and it hasn't packed in yet.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:27 AM   #9

I took my C4000Z out yesterday (-10 degrees) and got some shots...The battery gave up rather quickly (Lithium that had been in the camera for a while)...I put in some rechargable NiMH's that had been fully charged (but sat around for a month in my bag) and they gave up almost immediately.

I then put in a new Lithium set that I keep around as a backup...Got some shots with those ok but I have no idea how long they would have made it because the photograper got cold. :roll:
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:51 PM   #10

...so, going back top the previouos questions:
1. are EVFs prone to this as well?
2. How do the pro's use DSLRs in the field on x-weather assignments?