Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2002, 4:24 AM   #1

Default Need a cheap digital camera...

Hey all,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't annoy anyone.

I have been interested in a digital camera for taking snaps MAINLY indoors (75%), but outdoors as well.

I know of a couple cameras. I don't care how old they are, but rather just want a GOOD standard camera. The computer won't be too far, but I'd like to hold at least 50+ GOOD pictures. I wouldn't be taking any huge pictures, just normal-sized like a 35mm camera.

Out of the cameras below, which should I go for. Help much appreciated:

Olympus C200
Pentax EI-200
Minolta E201

I believe all three do what I need though, but the camera MUST have a flash (for indoors)...

profess.
profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by profess
Hey all,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't annoy anyone.

I have been interested in a digital camera for taking snaps MAINLY indoors (75%), but outdoors as well.

I know of a couple cameras. I don't care how old they are, but rather just want a GOOD standard camera. The computer won't be too far, but I'd like to hold at least 50+ GOOD pictures. I wouldn't be taking any huge pictures, just normal-sized like a 35mm camera.

Out of the cameras below, which should I go for. Help much appreciated:

Olympus C200
Pentax EI-200
Minolta E201

I believe all three do what I need though, but the camera MUST have a flash (for indoors)...

profess.
I didn't know there was such an animal as a "cheap digital camera"
My advice is not to waste your money on a cheap entry level camera.
Try for something in the 2 to 3 MP range for your needs.
Although it may be out of your range, you might want to check out the Canon S30. I believe you can find it for under $475.
If you have a "Best Buy" close by, stop in and get a feel for them in person.
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:42 AM   #3

Default thanks for the quick reply...

hi (you and your camera humour!)

I'm from the UK, so you can forget about all those $$$ signs, we use over here

I understand what you are saying about buying a 'cheap camera', but THESE cameras were considered GOOD a year ago.

I WANT the best, but don't 'mind settling for second (when it comes to the camera you understand, nothing else!)

But I think I'll see if I can get a Pentax. Heard it was good.

Still want to hear from everyone about what they think.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:52 PM   #4

Profess,
Finding that the camera manufactors are selling seconds (Refurbs) online to the public. I know that Olympus, Epson, HP and more do it. But the US sites only sell with a US delivery address. You should check out the Europe sites of camera manufacters to see if they are also doing it. Also try to get one at least 2 megapixel with 3x OPTICAL zoom. you can use software in computer to do the same as a digital zoom. Also most digicams do better outdoors do to the increased light.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 1:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by profess
I wouldn't be taking any huge pictures, just normal-sized like a 35mm camera.
I can take a stab at what you meant by that but what you said is is very different. Expensive 5 and 6 megapixel pro digicams are not equal to a 35mm film cameras. Resolution will have to more than double before digicams are capable of recording the same level of detail. IMHO it will take about 14 megapixels which will yield a true 300dpi 11x14 to put digicams on par with 35mm.

But that's probably not what you meant.

If you meant 4"x6" inkjet print you might find a 1.3 megapixel camera to be adequate but I'd steer you to at least a 2 megapixel camera. 2 megapixels (1600x1200 bitmatp) will give you a nice 8x10 inkjet print you'll be proud to display. It won't have razor sharp detail but it won't have jaggies.

I have a 5mp camera but still use my 1.3mp Canon Powershot A10 a lot. It's everything I want in a small convenient package and takes outstanding pictures as long as don't need monster prints. Look around for a deal on an A20.

The number of pictures the camera holds is not a function of the camera but the memory card and the resolution. 128mb cards are available for around $40 and will hold over 110 images @ 2 megapixels.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 6:56 PM   #6

Default hey all

padeye (and everyone): i won't be printing many pictures, i'd be storing 99% of them (don't even have a colour printer!)

i basically need the camera to take pictures roughly of a normal 35mm size, but some bigger too.

i have seen a couple pentax's EI-200 and olympus c200s, which i am trying to go for, but have been unsuccessful so far. i will keep trying and will no doubt get something soon.

thanks all. all the help appreciated.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:13 PM   #7

Profess, I was trying to explain some things you'll need to understand to get the pictures you want. There is no such thing as "normal 35mm size" unless you're talking about the negative which is a hair less than 1" x 1.5" (24x36mm) but that has little to do with what you meant. 4x6 prints like you'd get at the drugstore are another matter. The 2mp camers you are looking at should do fine with an inkjet printer though they won't give you the fine detail of a print from a 35mm or APS film camera.

Look for an A20 if you can find one. It's been replaced by the A40 but there is apparently a firmware bug that causes some blurred shots. The A20 is an excellent beginnner's camera but has a suprising amount of flexibility.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 12:55 PM   #8

Default Canon A40

My wife spent the first 40 years of her life as a pocket 35mm snapshots everywhere photographer.

Last month we bought a Canon A40 US$279 are she's entirely converted.

See Steve's review at
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40.html

The camera is easy to use and comes with very useful software. You'll need additional memory and rechargable AA batteries then you'll be set.

While no one knows the future of technology I definitely believe Compact Flash memory is the best choice for present.

Finally, I think you said you don't have a printer. You'd be amazed at what present day inexpensive printers can do WITH the right paper. I buy genuine Kodak glossy at my local discount club and friends swear I have an expensive printer.

I'm sure you can spend a lot a get a lot but it's possible to put together a 100% satisfactory snapshot solution inexpensively.

[Edited on 7-2-2002 by GregC]
GregC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 8:32 PM   #9

I had just revisited this thread and was going to mention for you to check out the Canon A40, but looks like Greg beat me to it.
I think this just could be what your looking for.

[Edited on 7-4-2002 by Jim C.]
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 12:01 PM   #10

Another one to check out is the 1.3MP Sony DSC-P30, going out of production but still around at <$200 US - plus memory and rechargeable batteries, which may push you to the 2MP options.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote