Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

I was talking with a co-worker one day about digital cameras, and I was complaining that cameras should be able to detect their orientation (portrait or landscape) and then rotate the picture accordingly when it is saved. This would save me from having to go through each image that I import and perform a rotation manually. The co-worker said that some cameras have this feature already, but since then, I've been unable to find any cameras that claim to have such a feature. I was hoping someone here might know: Are there cameras that have a mercury switch or something that allows them to perform automatic rotation? Thanks,

Trevor

vocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:38 PM   #2

Canon 20D certainly does.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:12 PM   #3

I checked Canon's website, but their page on the 20D doesn't seem to mention anything about this feature. How do I know whether a camera I'm looking at has it? Is there a specific name for it?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:48 PM   #4

The Canon 20D is called 'Auto Image Rotation' and it's on page 101 of the manual.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5

canon S1 IS does this
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:25 AM   #6

All of the cameras that I know about (I use a drebel) will turn the picture for viewing in the camera but when you load it into a computer program for viewing it will still have its original orientation.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:56 AM   #7
wrb

broisman wrote:
Quote:
All of the cameras that I know about (I use a drebel) will turn the picture for viewing in the camera but when you load it into a computer program for viewing it will still have its original orientation.

Actually my Canon 350d auto rotates when you view on the camera and also carries this though (presumably through the EXIF data) to Photoshop CS2 so when viewed there it's still auto rotated
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:16 AM   #8

Only cameras that have an orientation sensor are able to accomplish this, and most cameras do not have it... yet.

Actually, the image is not rotated when the camera saves the image, but rather an orientation flag is set in the image file which is then read by the image viewer to effect the image rotation.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:44 AM   #9

I believe I found another one: the Panasonic DMC-LX1. The technical specs include a feature called "Auto Angle Rotation". This is a mid-range compact, too, not an expensive SLR like the others. And wouldn't you know, I was thinking about buying this camera anyway!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:42 PM   #10

Another one is the Kodak DX7440.
pebe is offline   Reply With Quote