Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:00 PM   #1

Default USB Cable for a CP950

Is there a USB cable out there that can connect my PC to my CP950? I'm running Windows98SE.
Regards,
Dan
observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:32 PM   #2

What's a CP950? When asking in a general forum, you should mention the brand name of the device. Even better though, if there's a forum that covers that particular brand of camera (I'm assuming it's a camera as you don't even mention that) suggest you ask in that brand's forum here.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:40 PM   #3

(CP950 >> Nikon CoolPix 950 )

I think no, I use a card reader instead
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:20 PM   #4
NHL

The CP950 supports serial only, only the CP990 support both... You can try some of those USB to serial adapter! I guess a reader is much more universal and cheaper/faster too.

Kcan have you try?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
You can try some of those USB to serial adapter! Kcan have you try?
Hey! I didn't even know such adaptor exists , but anyway, can't be faster than the serial speed heh?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:22 PM   #6
NHL

Yeap !

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...&search=213006

... and it exceeds the max 115k limit of the CP990 ops: ops: ops:

Quote:
Provides high quality serial connections at transfer rates of more than 500kbps for cell phones, PDA's, digital cameras, modems and ISDN terminal adapters. Since it is a USB connection it eliminates the hassles of traditional serial port connections and IRQ conflicts, thus more devices can be attached to the system.

observerguy

Why do you ask? Do you plan on controlling the camera remotely through the serial port or something since the CP950 supported this...
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
You can try some of those USB to serial adapter! Kcan have you try?
Hey! I didn't even know such adaptor exists , but anyway, can't be faster than the serial speed heh?
Yes, those adapters exist but they ain't cheap, and they can be finicky...some either work or they don't.

As well, you can't exceed the speed of the camera, so you'll have to set the preferences of the USB converter ahead of time.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:36 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Yes, those adapters exist but they ain't cheap, and they can be finicky...some either work or they don't.
The ones that usually don't work are the serial to USB converter used on older computers with serial port only (ie no USB) to interface to USB devices such as USB printers, or USB cameras... $30 ain't cheap for an ISDN serial port adapter? What is?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:24 AM   #9

Was there actually a serial to USB port??? Such a thing shouldn't possible, can you post an url?

As for cost, when compared to the USB to game port adapter which costs a mere $15 at RadioShack (in Canada and the US), the USB to serial adapter is much more at $30, or $50 in Canada.

As for not working, having a user group for handheld users who want to attach their PDAs to laptops without serial ports, I get asked this a lot...have seen a lot of problems with no-name brands...the only one that's been reliable (but still not 100%) was the Belkin.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:28 AM   #10
NHL

Mike

I agree, but they are not all due to the USB adapter. Serial ports are finicky by nature. My labs are full of it, and thoses USB to serial adapters are good things to have for hooking laptops/PC to test equipments/telecommunication gears, which BTW are still pretty much locked in a serial world. Two ports are never enough, just ask my techs!

Problematics are baud rate, parity odd/even, 7/8-bit, mark/space, flowcontrol (ie Xon/Xoff). That is after you have the hardware flow control CTS, DTS, etc, correct or disabled and didn't reverse the Tx and Rx leads! and then we have Bit-Error-Rate, all independent of USB!

Good ridance I think at least for the PC...