Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:15 PM   #1

I am hoping to buy a telephoto lens for around 1200 - 1400 bucks that has 300 or better capability and is fast - a hard combination to find. I have considered Nikon's 300 f/4 (slow to focus, but not bad) and 80 - 400 vr (pricey and a little slow for my liking plus hunts when focusing). I have also considered tamron. I am shooting with a D70 and f90x (n90s), so the vr won't work on older cameras. I have read reviews on sigma 100 - 300 and they seem good, but I am not committed yet. I would really like to get some opinions. If you happen to have this lens, let me know what you think. Are the pics as sharp as I have heard, and is theinternal focusvery quick? Also if you happen to have any good ideas about fast telephotos in this range, I would appreciate it.

I own an 80 - 200 f/2.8 which is slow to focus but a good lens. I also have a 500 mmreflex that works on film and older digital slrs. I enjoy shooting wildlife, birds, and small critters. I also own a tamron 80-300 f/5.6 but it focuses slowly and has a higher aperture than I like. I like to kayak and hike so I am looking for a lens which will allow me to get closeup and personal without scarring the critters. The reason I am considering the sigma is because it meshes with my older cameras, it is within the range of my budget, and it seems to have good properties.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

ps - I am listing this request in the general section because my last posting regarding lenses got no responses in the lens section and I am hoping that it will do better here. Thanks.
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:32 AM   #2

Eric,
Everything I have ever seen with that lens is magnificent! You should know however that it is quite a large lens... it will be a significant difference from even the 80-200 you have now!
Check out some people's work here: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/100300mmf4exhsm
David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the input and the link. I am still thinking seriously about the lens, Sigma says that you can use their 1.4 teleconverter, but that is $300. I have a 7 element tamron teleconverter (2x) - any ideas on issues with that?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:46 PM   #4

The tamron converter should work fine. However if your converter passes Aperture information, your body wont af at F/8.
If your body does af with that converter, it will be slower, so that is to think about.
Where are you looking at the Sigma converter for $300? B&H has it for $189: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

David

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:43 PM   #5

That's a Canuck price - from Henry's in Ontario. I tend to agree about the high aperture and issues with focusing and whatnot - I use the teleconverter on my 55 micro and 80-200 f/2.8, which sets the lenses to a functional f/5.6. The 1.4 looses one stop of light, and I'm not sure that I want to end up with a 420 f/5.6 lens as there is no vr involved. The up side is that modern 400 iso film is great in terms of grain, and the d70 starts at iso 200, so a 400 or even 800 iso isn't out of the question for decent shots.

I may end up going for the Tamron 180 macro (1:1 r.r.) or maybe even the sigma, although I think the Tamron is overall a better lens. I would love the nikon 200 micro, but at 2200 Canuck that's really steep.

Thanks again for your input. Eric