Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Low Light Focus?

The reviews by Steve and Dpreview say that the Fuji 602Z and the Nikon 5700 both have problems focusing in "low light" because they lack an AF assist lamp.

First Question: What constitutes "low light" for the purposes of this evaluation?

2nd Question: Do you have specific examples where you have run into this problem and how have you addressed it?

Thanks,
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:36 PM   #2

Here's a page that explains how autofocus works, and why you need a certain amount of light:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

If there's not enough light, that's where a focus assist beam (light) comes in handy, it lights up the scene (usually in red) so the camera can focus. My camera doesn't have an focus assist beam on it (it does on the external flash sold separately) but my camera has a manual focus which I use instead.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:01 PM   #3

Some have posted on the site the use of a laser pointing device to help the camera obtain a focus point in low light situations.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:38 PM   #4

On the 602 I find focussing problems usually occur when the slow shutter warning comes on (what you'd expect really). In difficult available light I push up the ASA setting, ocasionally to 800ASA @ 1Mpix. The 602 provides a center magnified image to assist manual focussing.

OK it's not a prism or split image rangefinder but it works. I've never worked out how it focusses for flash when I've achieved sharp pics in total darkness. I'll probably get a laser pointer. The thing with auto focussing is to understand it likes defined vertical edges, which you can often find in the same focal plane outside the scene frame.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:38 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Mike the

http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm site was very helpful.

I'm still interested in knowing what constitutes "low light". Is it a dark room, a room with some lights on, a night shot with no moon or street lights, or a dimly light morning shot outdoors?

Does anyone have specific examples?

Thanks.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote