Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:25 PM   #1

I usually blow the dust off the CCD in my D70 every night following a photo session, however, I feel that I may need to do a more intensive cleaning session soon. I am somewhat apprehensive about cleaning my own sensor becauseof the risks associated with this procedure, but I would like to hear some horror stories to help me avoid making the mistakes of some of my peers. Ultimately, I would like to take on this task, but Iwant to know what is really at stake.

-Blake

P.S. No one will make fun of you for your mistakes, butfeel free to change the names ofinnocent bystandersin order to protect them from the humiliation ofrendering a $1000 camera useless.
GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:31 PM   #2
DBB

GWHayduke wrote:
Quote:
I usually blow the dust off the CCD in my D70 every night following a photo session, however, I feel that I may need to do a more intensive cleaning session soon. I am somewhat apprehensive about cleaning my own sensor because of the risks associated with this procedure, but I would like to hear some horror stories to help me avoid making the mistakes of some of my peers. Ultimately, I would like to take on this task, but I want to know what is really at stake.

-Blake

P.S. No one will make fun of you for your mistakes, but feel free to change the names of innocent bystanders in order to protect them from the humiliation of rendering a $1000 camera useless.
This is NOT that big a deal. You MUST follow some basic procedures. If you do so, the worst that can happen is that the sensor remains dirty. I post a link below. I have not examined that link thoughrouly, but I've noticed that everyone, sooner or later develops their own procedure.

You can Google Thom Hogans web site, he posts his own cleaning technique, and while mine differs a bit, it's based on his.

First, of course don't even bother if there are just a coupla of dust spots...

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:12 PM   #3

You clean every night?
I do a blue-sky check about once a week, and only clean if anything annoying shows up.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:20 PM   #4

I've never cleaned the sensor and don't expect I will ever have to.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:49 PM   #5

Heh, one question Terry, do you ever take your lens off?
Have you checked the sensor for dirt with something like the blue sky test?

Ok 2 questions:blah:.

Admittedly I have only had to clean my 20D twice since I got it about a year ago.
(and the first time was a stupid move on my part, where I changed lenses in a working wood shop).
Once the splotches become noticable and you need to retouch them out of every image it's time to clean.:idea:
Peter.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6

Peter,

Thats a very personal question asking me if I take my lens off !

Yes, I change it over but not that often. I'm so in love with my Tamron 28-75 XR Di that it hardly leaves my 20D.

Haven't done the blue sky test. Maybe next time I take the lens off I will peer in at the sensor.

My photos look good!

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7
Administrator

I suggest you go here:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

-Steve

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:38 AM   #8
Super Moderator

also keep in mind that even if you don't take your lenses off at all.. some cameras inevitably are shipped with a little sensor dust.. or particles that are loose in the body make their way to the sensor..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:00 AM   #9

I have just got back from malta and what a dry place it is! I got some dirt on my d70 sensor and cant blow it off! I am gonna have to buy one of these cleaners, which do you think is the best tool?

Also which is the best method for checking if there is still dirt on the sensor?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #10

I think the blue sky test works quite well. Mount your lens, set a small F-stop and shoot a couple of images of the clear blue sky. Then run to your image editor and view the sky images at 100%.

Dust shows up as splotches and dots, and will be in the same place on every image.

For cleaning a lot of people like the sensor swabs and pec pads, I like the visible-dust sensor brushes.

Peter.

andreaclassen wrote:
Quote:
Also which is the best method for checking if there is still dirt on the sensor?