Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:57 AM   #1

Default How do you focus macros

Greetings,
Iv'e been trying my hand at shooting macros. I have a SONY DCS F707. I shoot these macros in manual and use a tripod. My question is this. With such a small eye piece, how do you get that sharp focus. I'm young, my eye sight is good but I find myself squinting while focusing and for the most part, the result is a guess. The SONY doubles the magnification but it seems not nearly enough. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Summer
surfer chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Administrator

You have half the equation solved already as you stated that you use a tripod. The other half is solved by using the selftimer or a remote control if your camera has one. You never want to touch the camera to fire the shutter as this will jiggle it and cause blurring. Depth of field is hypercritical in macro so you need to use Aperture priority mode and close the aperture all the way down which also means you will be using a longer shutter speed.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:11 PM   #3

Default Thanks Steve

Steve,
Thanks for the suggestions, I do use the timmer but will play with the aperture more. The main problem is I can't see thru the view finder clear enough to know wheh the flower is in focus. Is it just me, or is that eye piece so small as to get a good focus?
Summer
addition:
Is there any way to go past f8 in the Sony DSC F707? I can't seem to get any greater DOF
Thanks
Summer
surfer chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:55 AM   #4

Default Re: Thanks Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer chick
The main problem is I can't see thru the view finder clear enough to know wheh the flower is in focus
I'm not familiar with your type of camera, but If you lack an autofocus feature I'd recommend that you try taking several shots of your subject and bracket the focus.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 4:33 PM   #5

Default How do you focus macros

I don't know the Sony you are using but in my video days, I remember having to move the camera closer and further away from the subject you are taking the macro shot of rather than using any kind of auto or manual focus on the camera. Also watch out for shadows.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 4:53 PM   #6

If I'm doing macro pictures in my workshop, I hook up the video out from the camera to my video monitor to see it better.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:00 AM   #7

Hi,

The autofocus on the DSC-F707 is probably about as good as they come, so the problem is more than likely related to your lens being outside the allowable range of distance from the subject.

Check the manual carefully, and see what the minimum and maximum distances for macro shots are for the F707, then if necessary use a measuring device to be sure you are not outside the allowable limits.

My recommendation is not to use the EVF to focus, but rather purchase an Extend-a-View http://www.photosolve.com and use it with the LCD to see what's going on. The EVF (electronic viewfinder) on the F707 is very good, but when you are only a couple inches from the subject, it's really tough to get your eye right down there. The Xtend-a-View is like a slide viewer, it's a 2X loupe/sunshade which will make it easy to see the LCD even in bright sunlight.

You should be able to get excellent macros with your F707 - just be sure you have it in Macro mode (you should see the small flower in the viewfinder or on the LCD) and let the autofocus do the work for you.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote