Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1

Is there someway you can get a modern big capacity MP3 player like iPod to hold extra photo downloaded from your camera? So a smaller card(~1GB) shooting at higher resolution(6+MP) will suffice on a trip or something if you use such a device?
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:13 PM   #2

yes there is but an ipod is not the best option there are dedicated devices for holding images that are considerably faster

i use this device using an old 40gb laptop HD in it . with a 2gb card it downloads in about 3-4 minutes.

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product...roducts_id=446

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

The price is a tad steep, any cheaper alternative?

Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:52 PM   #4
DBB

4 Gig cards are now under $250. Wait another 3, 4 months and you'll be able to buy them for well under $200 -

And that's not even mentioning what 1 GIG cqards are going for, 60, 70 dollars...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:50 PM   #5

yeah those rather quite slow 4gb cards are even under $250 but really ain't worth the sand they were made from a good quality card is more like $300+

now on the the tad expensive. those prices quoted were in singapore $$$ in reality a decent setup with a 40 gb drive can run as little as $250 US and take a whole 15minute to put together.

my empty unit cost me $162 shipped from AU to the US in NJ (4 days)thats w/car charger and wall power adapter.

from here: https://secure3.ozhosting.com/powerm...ient/store.asp

the drive being a 40gb (37.2 after formatting): $65 shipped from here:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=100516-3

2 sets of 4 2500mah nimh batts w/charger ~$40

you can get about 8-10+ 1gb downloads off of a freshly charged batts have a second set just in case. it verifies the download too.

average charge time in unit is 3+hrs for 2500mah batts.

total price of the kit is approx $280US effectively making your 1gb card into a 37gb card

the setup can also act as an external HD for your home computer or laptop. using the AC adapter and USSB port that does a fairly quick transfer to your computer as needed.

just consider i use this setup for my canon 1D2 and 1Ds2 for hiking shoots. each raw image is an average of 9+MB for the 1D2 and 17MB 1Ds2

at this point a more cost effective option in my opinion

now you go out and get that 4gb card and see if its a better investment.

now as with any device holding stuff you might treasure you will back it up as soon as you can. i had all my images from new zealand and australia from last month on it.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:59 PM   #6

the basic issue with ipods is that their battery consumption is as with any device outragous when writing to the drive. thats why its either plugged int a usb, firewire ports that provides external power when dumping data to the device. then of course you listen to tunes on it. downloading using a belkin adapter takes about 20+ minutes per 1gb card. thats one major dent in your tune time(battery consumption). as you also know in the infinite wisdom of apple an ipod battery is not user changable. that is in my opinion the dumbest thing going. if your lucky on a fresh charge and no tunes its 3-4 downloads from full 1gb cards.

the device i showed you is a dedicated product with the one purpose which is to save your images. to do it quickly and efficiently too.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:45 AM   #7
DBB

Perehaps I shouoldn't have commented. I was under the impression that this drive, i-pod, or what would be used in the field.

If such is not the case that certainly, go out and get a drive. Makes sense to me.

On the other hand, I carry enough when I'm out shooting. I really just carry around 8 or 12 Gigs of cards in my pocket, and this should be enough for a trip.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:12 AM   #8

i carry 12 gb with me all the time especially on a paid job. then i still back the data up on the drive. you know just in case.

Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:25 AM   #9

12 GB of cards would cost a lot more than one of those portable drives though....Money for me is the main issue....
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:29 AM   #10

yes they did. but i get $$$ for what i do. its called capital investment.

thats why one of these setups turns your 1gb into a virtual 37gb card