Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

I am putting together a website to publish my pictures on the web and in general to be a website for my photography.

What does everyone think of the site?
  • Artistically [/*]
  • Content (I know there's not much but I'm still buiding it) [/*]
  • phtographs in the gallery
[/*]
I no longer have the strict bandwith limitation as I have bought my own hosting and domain name.

Note: the site is best viewed with screen resolutions of 1024x768 or higher.

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:43 PM   #2

Here goes, Matt;

- On your home page, maybe tell people about yourself. Your photographic interests, philosophy, your style, perhaps a picture of yourself photographing something.

= You should have your address and phone number. You don't look legit without it.

- I wouldn't mention your equipment. It's not of interest to somebody who just wants to buy a photograph.

- You only have two photos on the site. You probably need at least 10-12 to be worth your while.

- I wouldn't bother mentioning copies are limited. They aren't overly expensive so if someone wanted one, they would just buy it.

- Might be nice to offer framed prints as an option.

- Do you do other types of photography? Can people hire you? Might be worthwhilementioning your other offerings.

Keep up the good work. Hope you have a successful site!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:18 PM   #3

Thanks terry. You have some very good ideas. I know my site is very anemic regarding content. I'll be sure to try to put some of your suggestions into play.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do have a question regarding prints. I thought it was best to make it limited edition since people may not be inclined to purchase them without it being so. Thanks again for the suggestions.

matt
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:42 PM   #4

Wait until your famous to start selling limited prints.

At your price range I don't think people are too worried about the exclusivity of their print.

Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

That makes perfect sense. Also, what about certificate of authenticity (sp?)? IF I don't have limited prints should I enclude them with each print?

Also, regarding my equipment, would you perfer not to list it becuase it isn't pro gear? The reason why I mentioned the equipment (well camerea at least) is to help explain the print quality and why I only print up to certian sizes.

Again, I am open to all of your [everyone at this site] suggestions since I am just beginning to make the site. By the way I have already done away with the limited prints idea. Again thanks for the suggestion and it makes things even easier.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:44 PM   #6

I think people would buy your photos because they like them. They wouldn't be worried about authenticity.

Well, people buying your photos wouldn't likely be the types to be interested in your gear.

They also wouldn't be worried by you sell only to a certain size.

Your right to say your gear wouldn't be viewed a high end pro, which is probably another reason you don't want to shout about it.

Just let the images speak for themselves. If people like them, they will buy them.

-- terry

Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:00 PM   #7

Thanks again,

I updated my site to include buttons for easier navagation. For now I've decided to keep the "equip and print size' page but put it under the last button called "misc."

I added a 'contatct me' button and updated my home page to give a little info about me (I'll probably add more latter). I also did away with the cert. of auth. thing since you seem right again.

Now I can focus on the main meat of my website the photographs. Thanks for emphesizing (sp? - btw if you see any mispelled words on my site let me know) that the pictures are what matters most.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:34 PM   #8

What Terry says :!:

I'd just like to add a bit about doing limiteds.
As Terry said, until you become famous don't :-) . It is more of a bother than anything else.
Normally with fine art images that are run as a limited edition prints when the edition runs out the original plates/negatives/files are destroyed to prevent any further copies.
Unless they are all printed at once you do need to keep a log to track what has been printed.

As for the "Certificate of Authenticity" on large prints it is a marketing tool. Most people buying the image do not care about it. They are buying the image because they like it. Unless you are famous and the print is costing them a large sum. (and they probably hope it goes up in value).

And I too think a Bio page rather than an equipment page would be preferable.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:39 AM   #9

As already stated, lose the equipment page. It's amateurish.

A big problem (for me anyway) is limiting the right click functionality on the images page. That just pi$$es me off. It serves no purpose and just ticks people off. You simply cannot stop people from downloading/saving your images - period.

The best you can do is provide small low res images and/or watermark them.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:59 AM   #10

I'm assuming your background color is supposed to be white? You haven't specified a background color in your HTML (if you coded this yourself) or your editor (if you didn't). When a background color isn't specified, the color used is the viewing system's default color, which although in many cases is white, isn't always. For instance, I have mine set to a light gray, which really makes your site look odd.

You can fix this simply by changing the body tag to <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> on every page.

-Sean
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote