Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2003, 1:29 PM   #1

Default Black and White digital

Never really bothered much with black+white pics, the world's in colour after all - well it was after about 1950 ish.

I decided to have a go and they look hopeless really - sort of lack contrast I suppose.

So how do you do yours??? Any tricks/techniques I can try preferably using PSP.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:31 PM   #2

I once saw a program where Leonard Nimoy (aka Spock from Star Trek) was talking about his black & white photography and he said something along the lines that when you shoot in colour the first thing you see is the colour, but when you shoot in B&W you see the subject.

He has a website of his work which includes nudes because his main title is "SHEKHINA, a photographic essay on the feminine presence of God" but he also has pictures of eggs and hands.

http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/2photo.htm

The benefit of the C-730 is you can switch it to B&W and see the image in the viewfinder in B&W. It takes more to take a good B&W picture, because to show drama you have to use contrast rather than colour...normally you try to light a colour scene uniformly, but B&W you have to use shadows to show depth, as you can see by the egg picture on the above page. I've been doing colour pictures for decades (although I started in B&W because that's all that was available), and I'm thinking of taking a B&W course by a professional photographer.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:53 PM   #3

I have been printing b&w off the digital almost exclusively lately.
The fact that you can shoot colour then edit channels in p-shop is amazing. I have left my b&w filters at home.
I have gotten some great results in this format after a lot of practice.
SATURATION,LEVELS, CHANNELS and FILTERS are great tools to use in p-shop.
Take a look at some b&w photos i posted (shot in colour with my oly3000):

[url]http://www.pbase.com/georgef/peoplehttp://<br /> <br /> the best line...eals... :idea:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:58 PM   #4

The arguments B&W v Colour are the same for movies. Compare the camera work, studio lighting, acting skills and creative production on older films, with wobbly cam you get on TV these days!

Diary is easy, satisfying enjoyable pictures which are timeless, need more work.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:13 PM   #5

The thread has given new horizons to wander towards. I will start trying some B/W photo art work. What is the worst that will happen -- I will like it.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:21 PM   #6

Intriguing.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:40 PM   #7

The advantage of better digital cameras is you can set it in B&W mode ahead of time...in that case you can also see the scene ahead of time in B&W on the LCD/EVF.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:00 PM   #8

Does anybody know what the bit level depth is for B&W in cams? If it's not high enough then graduated shadows will loose their smoothness. Gamma, contrast range and noise also become an issue, colour hides a lot.

So I wonder if big B&W digi-prints compared to film, with subtle shadow, highlights and detail - might actually be harder than we first think.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:14 PM   #9

Here's some B&W pictures that Yogi from the Oly_C-700 group took with her Olympus C-730UZ:

http://www.pbase.com/yogi7/black_and_white_
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:21 PM   #10

I think I need a monochrome monitor - can't see the res. on my VGA colour PIL tube.

That's the first thing that jumps out at you when there's no colour. I remember somebody making a similar comment when they saw their first B&W 6X4 contact print!